Real UKCAT vs Book questions

AR01

Hi all,

So I am revising for my UKCAT which is in 2 weeks from now. I bought the book 'How to Master the UKCAT: 700 questions' by Kogan Page.

(This one: How to Master the UKCAT: Over 700 ... - Google Books)

I'm finding the questions for quantitative quite difficult, in the sense that I cannot finish the questions on time (I take about 40 seconds per question, instead of 30ish)

How does the real quantitative section compare to the questions in this book?

ourchi

hey :) ii sat my ukcat yesterday,
and i used that book for my preparation, and i must say that the questons were really easy compared to the book.. hope this helps :)

AR01

Hey Ourchi,

Thank you so much for your reply :) If you don't mind, what were your UKCAT scores? Just wondering, since I am getting one or two questions wrong in each mini test...I'm a bit worried about that!

Thanks once again!

ourchi

hh... ok my QR wasnt the best but still
VR: 640
QR: 630
AR:750
DA:670
avg: 672.5

but really. you know how in the practice book you have to read all the additional info and all the tables are really long and confusing? well. the ukcat for me had really simple questions and simple diagrams, but i messed up with the timing. so really, do train that :D

oh btw can i ask you for an advice... with my scores do you think i have a chance if i apply to barts, sgul and glasgow?

AR01

Your scores are great! Congrats on that :)

1) For Bart's, I think you're well above average, I heard they required 660 in 2010, and now it's 642.5 - I think overall, they would like 2400.

2) I'm not too sure on the other two universities, but do check this out: UKCAT - The Student Room

BTW, how many hours do you recommend revising for the UKCAT each day?

ourchi

thank you but im still really really worried :)

hmmm i practiced for about 3 weeks before the exam, around two hours every day.. when do you have yours?
and thank you for the link. do you already know where do you want to apply?

AR01

I have mine on 19th August...so a little bit over two weeks left :) But I have been revising for a month or so now...I just bought the book recently, about 1 week ago.

I'm still deciding where I want to apply, but Barts seems really great for med :)

doctork2

Hey guys, I have purchased the "Passing the UKCAT and the BMAT 2011 Edition"... Is it just me or is the QR really f-ed up? VR is massively f-ed up in my opinion as well... For VR, I get almost all the questions wrong... on the ukcat official website mock exam, i get around 770. whats up with that? :S

dinka_chinka

Hi
From my experience, The book is useful for all sections except DA which is sort of similar to the real test. The other section has mistake or too easy in comparison to the real thing

doctork2

Hi
From my experience, The book is useful for all sections except DA which is sort of similar to the real test. The other section has mistake or too easy in comparison to the real thing
Hey dinka_chinka! Great to hear from you again! :)

So.. the book is only useful for DA but other sections have too man mistakes and whatnot?

dinka_chinka

Hey dinka_chinka! Great to hear from you again! :)

So.. the book is only useful for DA but other sections have too man mistakes and whatnot?
Hey
Its not even that useful for DA: It has some mistakes but the other sections are completely crap imo.
I would not recommend the book. It is either way too easy/full of mistakes. The earlier editions like 2008/2009 used to be good but the newer ones are useless.

AbbasReza

I have the 600 practice questions iscmedical book. I haven't done my actual test yet, but the practice test i downloaded from the UKCAT website had questions that varied in difficulty. Some were much easier than the book others were just as hard. Personally I'm having trouble with the timing because I'm slow using an on screen calculator. lol I'm also too used to my chunky TI89 which makes calculations much easier and quicker.

doctork2

I have the 600 practice questions iscmedical book. I haven't done my actual test yet, but the practice test i downloaded from the UKCAT website had questions that varied in difficulty. Some were much easier than the book others were just as hard. Personally I'm having trouble with the timing because I'm slow using an on screen calculator. lol I'm also too used to my chunky TI89 which makes calculations much easier and quicker.
Yeah.. that Texas Instrument 89 calc is one beastly calculator. I use that calc in school as well (except for tests).
I believe the key to scoring well, in my honest opinion, is how well you can use the on-screen calculator. Before, I guess it wasn't a huge issue, but now, since we have to use the on-screen ones, we have to get used to it. It will all come down to how fast you can use the on-screen ones with great accuracy.

Go to Emedica, and get the 2 week crammer. It is around 30 pounds, I believe. It will provide you with a diverse range of QR, VR, AR, and DA questions. Use the on-screen calculator that comes with the computer for practice. Good luck!

cpt.doofus

I just did my UKCAt, and scored way better than I did on any of the practice tests/questions. I used the pearson practice tests (harder than the real thing, especially QR), the 600q book (again harder QR), and how to master the UKCAT. I thought that the 600q book was especially useful becuase it gave lots of hints and tips. Good luck!

doctork2

I just did my UKCAt, and scored way better than I did on any of the practice tests/questions. I used the pearson practice tests (harder than the real thing, especially QR), the 600q book (again harder QR), and how to master the UKCAT. I thought that the 600q book was especially useful becuase it gave lots of hints and tips. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, cpt.doofus! how did you score overall?

cpt.doofus

I got an average of 757.5 - I'm so happy! It's a way higher score than what I got in any of the practice tests (Kaplan or Pearson), so don't worry if your score is low! On the other hand, don't relax too much, get as high as you can in practice, 'cos it will make the real thing so much easier =]