Reputation?

Discussion in 'Peninsula Medical School' started by orangecake, Mar 23, 2009.

1. orangecake

orangecake New Member

Hi everyone!

Thinking of maybe applying for PMS but I've heard very mixed things on the reputation... Also, on the Times league table- its got the bottom place along with Queen Mary!
    Of course, a medical degree is a medical degree and regardless of where you go, the end outcome is becomming a doctor BUT because of MMC, there is SO much competition for foundation posts....

Let me know the good and the bad...
    Many thanks

2. Clarkey

Clarkey I have girl bits ok? :)

But if the people marking foundation post application forms don't know where you studied doesn't that make that point null and void?

I know Peninsula has a varied reputation but I think there are other reasons that are more relevant than that. I don't know much about the course so don't really have an opinion but i'm sure this has been covered before. I know their anatomy may leave something to be desired for me but lots of people enjoy it!

3. smile88egc

smile88egc New Member

Im sure PMS came something like 13th in the Guardian league tables, so it cant be that bad!
    And yeah anatomy isnt one of the strong points here, but for me it's not a huge priority in my learning!
    And whats more important is that the student satisfaction here is pretty awesome i'd say.
    Personally i bum PMS, but i would say that wouldn't I!

4. Liagiba

Liagiba New Member

I was just going to say that. Depends where you look for the facts! Check out the stats on graduate employment if you're worried but I think it'll be fine!

5. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

1) Guardian...
    2) League tables in general!

6. houseMD

houseMD New Member

League tables...enough said! There are so many variables that can affect league table position and different weightings placed on different things that it really is quite simply ridiculous.

I'd take Guardian over the Times though.

Peninsula is without a shadow of a doubt one of the top medical schools in the country. I appreciate that I would say that but it is simply true. The course is changing day by day based on our feedback and I have no doubt at all that by the time I am applying for ST jobs PMS doctors will be amongst the most sought after. It is worth bearing in mind that instead of simply sticking to meaningless and vague traditional methods of teaching PMS is right at the cutting edge of medical education and educates its doctors for 2009 according to Tomorrow's Doctors, as opposed to certain other less adaptable places!

I have no doubt whatsoever in my ability as a foundation doctor.

Likewise it is important to note that on the MTAS form at foundation application it is irrelevant where you qualified from.

But I guess the main thing is that PMS students are in general HAPPY - if you want to come here, come here, if not, don't! It's not worth stressing about - if you don't think you'll get on with PBL, don't come here! If you want spoon feeding, don't come here!

I turned down Birmingham Cardiff and Manchester to come here and I haven't looked back.

Reputation of med school is irrelevant - but fear not, in the future PMS will be right up there. Fact.

7. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

Most wouldn't.

The first bolded statement is way too subjective and anecdotal to take seriously. Some would agree with you, and others would disagree with you. To state it as though it's fact is ridiculous.

The second bolded statement is also totally anecdotal. Just because you have no doubt doesn't mean it's true. The fact is, if all the MTAS malarky remains as it is until you graduate, there will be no "sought after" students from specific medical schools.

8. saunders0104

saunders0104 New Member

PMS is the fastest growing new medical school (possibly the fastest growing out of all of them - I remember hearing something about this, but as it's a bit hazy, don't quote me on that). Peninsula has most funding per student of any UK med school.

I wouldn't get hung up on reputation. Saying you were at Oxbridge or equivalent is all well and good, but at the end of the day, it's more about how you want to learn, and the 'reputation' I don't think is going to count as much as you think.

9. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

you dont think?

10. Yixian

Yixian New Member

Ignore league tables, PMS and everywhere else darts around the tables every year, from top to bottom.

Anatomy here kinda sucks, that's very true, but the clinical teaching is very good, unlike say Nottingham.

On thing that's true is that the science teaching here is not very intense at all, unless you do a lot of your own revision throughout the first 2 years by year 3 I reckon it'd be a big shock. Whereas Nottingham for example are busting their asses over every little exam, here we have 3 or 4 AMKs a year that you don't have to revise for and can wing them on exam technique alone.

By the time you get to year 3 ofc, it's all the same no matter where in the country you are anyway, so when comparing medical schools you're comparing the first 2 years basically. If you think you can get through the first 2 years of any university's course, then it doesn't matter where you go.

And even if you do go for this years Guardian results, which nobody in medicine should pay any attention to (Peninsula was pretty high last year if I remember correctly, and it meant nothing then either) look at the difference in the actual scores: 96.2/100 to 100/100...

And look who's no. 1 and no. 2 xD Everyone with a brain in their nut knows that Oxford and Cambridge have the most lifeless, outdated medical degrees in the country.

#10 Yixian, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  11. houseMD

houseMD New Member

*waits for all the sparks to fly!*

:-D

Also though, I was talking to one of the surgical registrars the other week who has been an anatomy demonstrator at various london schools...his take on it is that PMS students are right up there on basic sciences, they just need the confidence in their system to realise this and have confidence in themselves! Interesting thought.

12. alex MD

alex MD New Member

Say what? :confused:

13. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

whilst the teaching itself at notts is of a solid standard and very well run, the CHOICE OF and AMOUNT OF clinical material they are exposed to is minimal, and probably puts there students at least a year behind PMS medics in terms of clinical effectiveness, and perhaps more by 5th year.

14. Yixian

Yixian New Member

Agreed.

PMS and Notts are two examples of either extreme.

The teaching in PMS is lightweight, you have to learn a hell of a lot on your own. Luckily there is enough streamed material over the last few years easily available to all PMS students that you can get the intensity of Notts-style teaching if you go out of your way to do it.

But PMS clinical experience is top notch. From day one you're pushed as far into clinical scenarios as possible and taught hours of new clinical skills every 2nd week of the first 2 years.

Nottingham has almost no clinical experience for students in their first 3 and a half years. My dad is on the board that runs the course and he teaches medics, and even he will agree to this.

But the fact is, students going into their 2nd year at Notts will know a MEGATON more than most PMS students. You wouldn't believe how easy going our biomedical science assessments are in the first year here at Peninsula; Notts students are cramming seriously high level biochemistry and having their knowledge assessed extremely hard. Here at Peninsula we have a couple of multiple choice exams a year that completely skip the underlying science and just test your knowledge of clinical practice.

So going into the 3rd year, PMS students that have done the bare minimum learning to pass the first 2 years of their course are completely outclassed in the science by Nottingham students who have done the bare minimum to pass theirs. However PMS students are far far more clinically useful going into their first clinical year than most Nottingham students.

But the last 2 years of everywhere is essentially the same and the GMC have the same requirements for qualifying for every school, so an F1 who started at Peninsula should be pretty much indistinguishable from a Nottingham F1.

The only criticism I could make really is that it's easier to catch up in clinical skills than it is in biomedical science. There's got to be some point here at PMS where we get a rude awakening and have to learn a lot of science really really fast. Doctors expect you to know the scientific basis for everything you do, and if you don't know your biochemistry and your pharmacodynamics then you're simply not a doctor imo, you're a nurse practitioner.

The PMS students that come out of the other end and go into their foundation years are among the most highly rated in the country so those that "get" the course here and successfully survive that rude awakening are obviously great doctors.

But at the end of the day, doctors are scientists that apply their knowledge clinically.

PMS and the London schools seems to be pretty similar really these days. The difference is only large when you're comparing with somewhere like Nottingham for example.

Also another point about the league tables, PMS is always dragged down severely by student satisfaction. There's one big reason for this: we have to move city every 2 years of our course.

It's retarded and pisses everybody off. They refuse to even let people stay on one campus even if it means dragging them away from their children. If I was asked to score my satisfaction with PMS on a scale of 1-10, based on that policy alone I'd give them a 5. If they would remove it, I'd give a clean 8 or 9.

#14 Yixian, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  15. The Fantastic Dr. Fox

I doubt PMS has much of a reputation (although in fairness it hasnt had much time to gain one). It shouldnt really matter what school u go to for MTAS applications etc. which im glad about as people should be judged on their ability in clinical practice rather than the people that taught them.

PMS arent heavy on anatomy/biomedical science teaching but, that said, there is absolutely nothing stopping you taking out a textbook and learning that for yourself. If you ever get stuck, there are people you can ask. They are also very good at making you apply your knowledge clinically.
    Clinical skills teaching is of a very high standard in my opinion and the amount of time you will spend with consultants/clinicians during the course is incredible. There is also a lot of in-depth feedback on all areas of your learning.

My main gripes are that they do sometimes overemphasize non-scientific areas of medicine and that their lectures are very slow paced.

There is only one person who is responsible for making a good doctor. YOU!

16. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

and this is my main gripe with the nottingham course.

oodles of money are spent keeping open departments like the anatomy full dissection lab, teaching us stuff that we could easily learn from a textbook. AND PRECIOUS LITTLE IS SPENT ON THE CLINIC SIDE OF IT, EVEN WHEN IT WOULD BE THE EASIEST FING IN THE WORLD TO DO WITH THE EXISTING PRE-CLIN TEACHING.
    really, its that simple.
    AND THE STAFF BLOODY KNOW IT TOO.

it fcuks me off something chronic that some of the students here are so easily led that they actually believe they are better off being led thru full dissection learning an arrary of latin names but virtually nothing of the application of knowledge (which we'd get at PMS in spades). At notts, you got a corpse in front of you an they will teach you every muscle in the neck, and pan you for getting a name wrong - but they wont even attempt to demonstrate a trachy on it, even though THIS IS THE BEST OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO SEE ONE DONE ON A CORPSE. BUT its never done, for any are of he body that we waste our time learning reams of names for and standing in front of for the best part of a WHOLE YEAR. a complete waste of resources!!
    Or is it becos the anatomy teaching staff arent able to teach us that level of clinical knowledge?
    WELL....

it makes you wonder if they actually work admissions out at nottingham so that they accept peeple who have the least ability to question what they are being taught or think freely, and will accept anything as long as you slap them on the back once in a while and tell them they are intelligent to keep them 'appy. NOT a bad bunch of peeple at all, but i do feel that if we were selected for being free finkers instead of selecting dogs that slobber all Pavlovian to a textbook then this course would 'ave moved ahead light years by now. Free finking students would ave changed fings by now.

not knocking the teaching itself - they do a good job of it 'ere.
    its the material, let me stress. but the above means we're (on average) light years behind the likes of Peninsula students. All the more perplexingly, a lot of our students believe the opposite! But put one of them and one of us on the spot, and the nottingham student will wax lyrical reeling out latin names of disease and parts of the body, but curl up wif embarrassment due to their lack of knowledge to treat a patient (which is WHY WE ARE 'ERE! Reeling our latin names wont elp nobody!)

yes, any shortfall in any kind of course can be accomodated for wif a good attitude and sum 'ardy personal endeavour.

#16 Gizmo says -, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  17. chris5656

chris5656 New Member

This is a factor, but the main reason is the low offer (ABB) that PMS gives, although im told its gone up this yr to AAB: entry standards effect the league position. The offer was low last year, but that doesnt take into account that most students applying straight from school still needed 3As predictions to get an interview.

The main point here is that if you do the work on anatomy and physiology that you are 'encouraged', not forced to do, then you will do better in the AMK and the end of year test. Yixian, you have to admit that quite alot of the stuff we have done in PBL has come up in AMK, and the LSRC stuff will come up in end of year test.

What has annoyed me is that whilst with the biomed and anatomy stuff they emphasize that we should be 'mature' enough to go out and learn for yourself, you are nannied in clinical skills to the point where you are being taught how to say hello to patients. Its like you are not allowed to have an individual style or method of building rapor with patients.

But the clinical experience is generally really good though. Im 7 months into the course and today I had my first ward round with the registrar. It was a great experience, and a good reminder of what this is all leading towards.

18. Yixian

Yixian New Member

That's very true about clinical skills nannying.

19. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

lol this 'appens at posh traditional med skools too mind.
    i

see that could never appen ere. our students are a liability on the wards, forever moving equipment, patients and the furniture around, then leaving it for the nurses (or perhaps their mums)to put back.

last week saw med students completely flatten a 90 year old womans bed to examine her abdomen, then neglect to put it back up (we all know why there are good reasons she could be in bed at such an angle, but do we put it into practice?).
    that wouldnt appen at PMS.

20. chris5656

chris5656 New Member

haha, im sure there are people at every med school capable of that kind of thing. Just hopefully it will be ironed out before they are given real responsibility.

Im sure you said to me ages ago that you were at Georgies not Notts anyway - did you transfer or somthing?