Should I move up my UKCAT test day?

doctork2

Hi, I was thinking about moving my ukcat test day earlier... I'm doing okay in practice tests... today, I tried the UKCAT practice test #2 on the UKCAT website programme thing. I got:
VR = 670
QR = 730
AR = 530 <---uh oh... anyone has any tips to improve my ar mark?
DA = 670

Avg. = 650

If i were to move my test, when should I move it to? I was supposed to have it on August 29th.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

ob[x]

oh yeh id definitely move it up to next week? i personally think more than 2 weeks is excessive! im doing mine next sat! good luck

doctork2

ob[x];766533 said:
oh yeh id definitely move it up to next week? i personally think more than 2 weeks is excessive! im doing mine next sat! good luck
So is my practice score good enough? I'm thinking of changing it to the 2nd week of August at least.. I'm very weak in AR... so gotta figure that stuff out beforehand. I bought a AR practice book (it's not abstract reasoning, but something similar... I was recommended by it by one of the users here! :D)

Good luck on your UKCAT... hope everything goes well! Best wishes.
Where are you applying to besides Brimingham?

dinka_chinka

Hi
I would say that 29th is good because it allows for more practice and practice cannot harm right. Plus even if you improve ur AR score, your average should be 700-710 as that is what the majority of the applicants this year are getting so use this time to practice and improve your score. You will regret the rush if your score is not that good

doctork2

Hi
I would say that 29th is good because it allows for more practice and practice cannot harm right. Plus even if you improve ur AR score, your average should be 700-710 as that is what the majority of the applicants this year are getting so use this time to practice and improve your score. You will regret the rush if your score is not that good
Thanks for your reply dinka_chinka!
I'm just worried how I'm going to write my PS and all.. so i thought it was better to get it done and over with.. I think i know the importance of UKCAT now LOL so I'll just stick to my original date. thanks everyone!

Doctork2

dinka_chinka

Hey
I am canadian as well and understand the stress. Write your ps next month because that should not change despite ur UKCAT score as all universities look for the same thing: how have u been involved in medicine and reflection on ur personality and experience. If you feel Ukcat was low, then just apply to non-ukcat and if it was high, apply to ukcat uni and just modify ur PS a bit, no need to re-write
Also, in reference to the person above, the scores are relative to last year's admission cycle not this one because then the person who take the first UKCAT test globally would have 900 which is not true. It is compared to last year's test-takers not this one

I would not worry about your score on the practice tests if I were you - I was doing pretty badly on them (particularly on AR and QR as I wasnt even finishing all of the questions on time). I sat the UKCAT yesterday and got:

VR 730
QR 800
AR 710
DA 770
Average: 752.5

The best bit of advice I can give you is to purchase the 600 practice questions book - it gave me a lot of help on the AR section as it teaches you the kind of things that you need to look for. I dread to think what my AR score would have been without it...

doctork2

I would not worry about your score on the practice tests if I were you - I was doing pretty badly on them (particularly on AR and QR as I wasnt even finishing all of the questions on time). I sat the UKCAT yesterday and got:

VR 730
QR 800
AR 710
DA 770
Average: 752.5

The best bit of advice I can give you is to purchase the 600 practice questions book - it gave me a lot of help on the AR section as it teaches you the kind of things that you need to look for. I dread to think what my AR score would have been without it...
Hi, Wantaway Accountant,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I did purchase the book around october last year LOL and I went through it twice. :D
I just feel gutted with my AR score all the time. some of the relations are so "out-of-this-world" type... but hopefully the actual test will require no guessing for the most part... hopefully the relation is obvious!