Should I quit CT1 anaesthetics for GP?

Discussion in 'Anaesthetics' started by MightyMusketeer, Nov 20, 2012.

1. MightyMusketeer

MightyMusketeer New Member

Hi all,

I'm new here but was hoping to canvas some advice...

I'm currently a CT1 anaesthetics trainee with a non working wife and two small children. Our lives so far have been spent two years here, four years there e.t.c. with the outcome of leaving small pockets of friends in various locations which are hard to keep in touch with. My wife and I struggle with the frequent moves, but at least I get to go to work. However, she constantly finds herself in the situation of having to make new friends and with the knowledge that we'll be moving on in two years.

Together with that, I'm currently leaving the house at 7am and generally not getting back before 6pm. The kids then go to bed about 6.45pm. Sometimes I can go several days without even seeing the kids. The job so far isn't the problem, I'm actually quite enjoying it, but the prospect of a very similar looking schedule for the next seven years of training only then to be competing for a consultant job which perhaps isn't where we want to live is a complete turn off. Add to that all the extras I'll need to do to look even vaguely competitive at interview and it's starting to feel a little overwhelming! I really would like to see my kids grow up! And, of course, see my wife. I did after all marry her to spend time with her.

So, I'm thinking of applying for general practise and giving up my CT training post at the end of January and locuming until the August. The aim would be to be a sessional GP and perhaps undertake LTFT training. However, I've also toyed with the idea of not applying for GP until this time next year, which would mean 18 months out of a training job. This would give me time to tick off a few GP related diplomas e.g. child health, O&G. This makes me a little nervous though as I would be a long time out of a stable job.

If I were to put numbers on it, I think I could probably be 80% happy being a sessional/LTFT anaesthetist and maybe 70% happy being a sessional GP. But the difference is I would have finished training and would be able to train in a location where we would want to put some roots down whilst undertaking GP training. I don't think the equivalent with anaesthetics would be possible, and we might well have to leave these roots in order to secure a consultant job.

Anyway, this is turning in to a mammoth first post!

Any thoughts greatly received.

MM

2. Mountain_Boy

Mountain_Boy New Member

Hi MM,

I too am new to this forum, and joined because of this post. What did you decide to do in the end?

In essence, I am in the same position as you, but the otherway around! I am currently a GPST1 who is wondering whether he should have gone through with his anaesthetic application instead. I had always planned on going into anaesthetics & for my F2 did a mini ACCs of acute medicine, AED & critical care. However, on taking a year out between F2 & specialty training (to do a diploma in mountain medicine & to go on some expeditions), I really enjoyed not being on a shift rota & the freedom this gave me with regards to seeing my Fiancee & my friends/family, as well as the time for hobbies & to join Mountain Rescue. Because of this, and meeting a GP who had a fantastic life as the lead medic for MR, I began to wonder if GP would provide a better work life balance & still provide worek interest by allowing me to have a number of different interests.

Now I'm on the training program I'm not so sure either. Although I didn't dislike GP (I was just there for 6 months), I feel a little as though I'm not particularly naturally suited to it as a career path. Plus I have missed the acute pathology & challenges of acutely/critically ill patients. So bascially, I'm now back in hospital & wondering if I made the right decision.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that the lifestyle may seem appealing, but will you miss anaesthetics & feel unfulfilled if you leave?

MB

3. mbj

mbj New Member

Interesting post. I am just about to complete a mini ACCS year (f2) and have an offer from anaesthetics and hopefully GP. Not that keen on sift work bit like the acute stuff. I'm thinking of trying anaesthetics and quitting if not work out. However, you can be a BASICS GP and get involved with per-hospital care which is tempting. Have you looked into that?