Sports/Teams at HYMS

Discussion in 'Hull York Medical School' started by Allie, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Allie

Allie New Member

Really just a question for current students this, although help from any soon-to-be ones wouldn't go unappreciated.

I'm wondering about some of the sports teams at HYMS. With all going to plan, I shall be attending HYMS in September. I know from speaking to the guy who showed me around on my interview day that you have a rugger team, which is the main thing I'm looking at picking up again when I get to university. How does the medical school fare for other teams though, particularly football and rowing? And if there is a rowing team, is there an aopportunity for novices to begin, or is it just for experienced rowers?

Cheers for any help,
    Allie :)

2. nickbrazel

nickbrazel New Member

There's rugby, football, hockey, basketball, tennis and squash been set up at Hull as we now have the HYMS sports association. Can't speak for York though. Remember that you can also join the main University's teams - HYMS student base is too small to have the same number or diversity of teams as the main university. With these teams, all levels can take part!

http://hullstudent.com might help!

3. jabiyasser

jabiyasser New Member

Hey guys ... like if i wanna join the HYMS soccer team .. should i attend any tryouts or something ?! and like should i get a recommendation letter from my Physical education teacher ?!

4. Wilkfish

Wilkfish New Member

Hey guys, i wouldnt worry about references or anything like that. The sport at hyms is quite informal as is most university sport. I know that all of our teams are run by students themselves with tryouts at the start of each year and elections later on in the year to decided captains and the like.

All you need for hyms sport is enthusiasm and be willing to turn up to training regularly. Dont worry about going out and looking for teams to join when you get here, people literally have to beat team reps looking to sign you up with a stick!!! :p

5. Ryan HYMS

Ryan HYMS New Member

Yeh this is for anyone who might know,

But NickBrazel said that theres a rugby team at hull, but does anyone know whether the rugby teams for HYMS at both hull and york are league or union.
    Cheers

6. Allie

Allie New Member

There's a HYMS Union team, I know that much. I discussed it a bit with one of the lads who was showing me 'round and he played Union, and played for the rugger team, so I'd take that as there being a Union team.

League's just girls' rugby anyway...

7. Ryan HYMS

Ryan HYMS New Member

Damn right!!

8. Wilkfish

Wilkfish New Member

Bear in mind that I am a league lad born and breed and also currently HYMS rugby coach alongside another for both male and female team on the hull side of HYMS, I think thats a few laps and press ups for the both of you ;D

HYMS rugger is theoretically one team but we rarely get the chance to practise together. However, when we do play we come together and form a true HYMS team.

As mentioned we do run a girls rugby team so any budding rugby ladies out there please come along, dont worry if youve never touched a ball in you life before as neither had any of our team at the begining of last year!!!

Youll all be informed further in september when you guys get here as to further details about the rugby (even if it is union :S *spews*)

ANDY

9. Allie

Allie New Member

I'm not sure I'll be able to join the rugger team now, simply because I really don't want to have to mix with all the League lot :p

Seriously though, I haven't played any proper rugger in years, so I imagine I'll be getting proper chinned by some of the Union lads at the beginning of the year :(

10. nickbrazel

nickbrazel New Member

How wrong you are!

Let's not start this argument though

11. nickbrazel

nickbrazel New Member

And you're a northener! Traitor!

12. Allie

Allie New Member

Haha, aye but I'm not from the North West!

13. fishie

fishie New Member

Being from the north west I'm most definately a league girl (although I watch but not play!) Come on Wolves!

14. Allie

Allie New Member

See, that just reinforces the fact that League is girls' rugger... :p

15. Wilkfish

Wilkfish New Member

Id rather play league and get the girls than union and play with "tackles" any day ;D

16. emjane

emjane New Member

So you don't have to really have any rugby experience before rying out for the girl's team?

17. Wilkfish

Wilkfish New Member

Nope, what I like to see is effort and a commitment to turn up week in week out to training. The girls dont yet have a lot of matches but this year we have managed to get them down to cambridge to play against some of there teams (great weekend away) and hopefully will also be having another match before the end of this year. The plan for next is to be entered into a league of some sort if possible though, so its all very much on the up.

As well as keeping yoursefl fit though its a good way of getting to know people from other years, this includes the mens team. But like i say, as long as you turn up and try hard we cant ask for much more than that :D

Andy