1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dudey

dudey Member

Does anyone know what the minimum score to get into STFS this year is? And how does this compare to last year? Just trying to find out where I am within the school. I scored 81/100, which last year would have put me in the 2nd decile, but looks like that's going to be a middling score this year.

Hope everybody else got a job where they wanted to....and if not commiserations.

#1 dudey, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  2. Frank's mum

Frank's mum New Member

From speaking to other students, it seems high 70's was about where the cutoff was.
    I got a rubbish score which wouldn't have got me in but have ext circs so got STFS anyway.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey I have girl bits ok? :)

The cut off this year was 75 I think.

4. Jiny

Jiny New Member

That's a funny thing as it would mean that South only took 50% of applicants according to Spencer Wells' decile information:

Here are the South Thames deciles for this year (for applicants, not necessarily successful ones but not sure where the cutoff was):

1. 84 and above
    2. 83 - 81
    3. 80 - 79
    4. 78 - 77
    5. 76 - 75
    6. 74 - 73
    7. 72 - 71
    8. 70 - 69
    9. 68 - 67
    10. 66 and below

South did say that it had been a very big year for applications but usually they take about 85% of applicants - maybe the deciles are for all applicants and not just those who put South as 1st choice?

5. dudey

dudey Member

Jiny, those decile statistics are for LAST years application. Speaking to my friends in the year above I think the cut off was ~69/100. This makes sense as ~85% of applicants got in, and 69 was roughly the 8.5th decile.

This year it the cut off is 74/75....I'm aware of some people who got in with 74, but nobody below this. Obviously it would be difficult to comment on deciles, as there could be a skew towards 74/75 or towards 90. In any case, I would really like to know what the deciles are, so I can be more tactical when choosing which group to select.

THere also appears to be some lack of consistency between marks awarded in different FS. Colleagues of a similar standard to me tended to score much higher on the NWTFS application, with several scoring over 85. Whereas I don't know many people scoring 85-90 for STFS.

Oh well, can't complain, after 5 years of absolute dossing around, I consider myself lucky for getting a place anywhere, as it really was a lottery TBH. Feel really bad for anyone who didn't make it into their first choice...but really your foundation job has no bearing on the rest of your career.

6. Jiny

Jiny New Member

Doh! Glad you explained that! I have heard someone say that they think that the marks were more generously allocated at North Central than STFS but there is moderation between the deaneries so that shouldn't actually be the case. Who knows! Like you, I'm just very relieved to have got my first choice

7. dudey

dudey Member

The NWTFS score range (FOR PEOPLE WHO GOT IN) are out:

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/resources/CA47E1E2-5016-4711-A52B-4D70D2C53A99/

You can see that the range is pretty limited. As in the entrant score is 84...but people who got 93+ were in the 1st decile. So a range of 84-93 (9 points) between 1st and 10th deciles.

I think because STFS is so much bigger, the range will probably be more, but you never know.

On a side point, I know they say it is moderated, but there are definitely discrepancies between different FS --> they can only moderate a few samples, so it's difficult to see if ALL forms are consistently marked.

8. Eleeeepil

Eleeeepil New Member

Is it true that the foundation training in London is better?