1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student life at edinburgh?

Discussion in 'Edinburgh Medical School' started by drluvin, Jan 29, 2009.

1. drluvin

drluvin New Member

Hey guys. I am an international student, who is considering edinburgh as one of my UCAS choices - an obvious choice given its outstanding reputation. But I generally do not know what to expect the social life to be like there... anybody have any first hand experiences?

2. aspirant doc

aspirant doc New Member

Oh FFS! It's the same as any other uni for social life.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus New Member

Settle, Doc! S/he obviously doesn't know the city.

I'd say the student life is fantastic. Something for everyone and we're not all grumps like Doc above (perhaps he's had long hours studying for exams or something).

Try: Social life | Student life | Undergraduate study

Don't judge it all by the Festival, but if you get the chance to visit Edinburgh before you apply, give it a go...

4. aspirant doc

aspirant doc New Member

Hi Cerberus (a good classical name there)

That's exactly my point - students will have a fantastic student life wherever they go.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus New Member

Of course, but I imagine that if s/he is bright enough to apply for Medicine, s/he had already sussed that bit out anyway. The question was about Edinburgh. Tell us what you think is unique about this fine city before our friend moves on in disgust!

6. drluvin

drluvin New Member

thx for e honest replies

I'm a little scared/amused/enlightened of what i can expect, all at once. ;)

7. twippet

twippet New Member

Hey I am an Edin Uni grad and still living in Edinburgh.... can not recommend it more! It is a really great uni for social life because although it's a city it's a very small city. You can pretty much walk anywhere. Plus there are 2 very small areas of Edinburgh where all the students live- basically student ghettos lol!! Like most unis the social life is great- lots of sports and societies, but there are 3 universities in Edinburgh so there are a lot of student nights- there is at least 1 nightclub with a student night every night of the week. Plus you have the festival in the summer which is immense and the Xmas/Hogmanay festivites in December! I wouldn't worry about being an international student as Edinburgh has plenty! If you have any more specific questions just ask :)

8. aspirant doc

aspirant doc New Member

Ok I think the best things are ....

Edinburgh is small enough for it not to be a pain in the arse to visit a freind who lives the other side of town

Edinburgh is big enough for there to be places to go in the evenings without being overrun by lawyers/students/ any other category you may wish to get away from

Arthur's Seat

The haar

Accessibility to Scotland's great outdoors

Undiscovered Leith

Ethnic and cultural diversity

9. the_slob

the_slob New Member

Hey guys
    I have a question for those already studying at Edinburgh. Myself and my girlfriend have just found out we are transferring from St Andrews to Edinburgh for our clinical years and are delighted!

However I wanted to check out where everyone is actually staying. We were looking at flats in Gilmerton as they are a bit cheaper, although compared to St Andrews the Taj Mahal itself would be cheaper per night!! Does anyone stay near the hospital or is everyone up in student-ville in Morningside, Marchmont etc?

Would be good to hear from you..

10. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

Hey, as a current student, I'd say your best bet is either Newington or Marchmont.

11. ysl89

ysl89 New Member

Hi, could anyone recommend any self-catered university flats? I've been looking at the ones they've got on the accom website, but all they say is that they're all pleasant. Can anybody give me any suggestions? I've heard that robertson's close is very near to teviot, but I've been told it can be quite noisy too. Can't make up my mind, help!thanks:)

12. edinburghmedic

edinburghmedic New Member

the student life at edinbrugh is really good!

it can be a bit expensive tho.