1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupidest things said in interviews!

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by DrBaz, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Freshers week - It's a killer...

2. MEDEVAC

MEDEVAC New Member

Hospitals used to not cure anything, they were more like the last place you would stop before death - in fact, poor saniation and lack of hygiene would often cause your death! Having a hospital next door makes good logistical sense!

3. Ryan118120

Ryan118120 New Member

It wasnt so much that I said someting embarassing. But when I went to shake the mans hand, air got trapped between our hands and it made a FARTING sound ... so embarassing!

4. House Jr.

House Jr. New Member

This is from a mock interview but still.

Interviewer: I see that you did some work experience in a Geriatrics ward. Tell me, what is the problem with old people?

Me: Well.....errr.....hmm....they're old?

5. skipissatan

skipissatan New Member

At my Durham interview I decided to bring up the case of Prof John Mclachlan- who is the associate dean of the medical school and who had published a spoof article about how "the buttocks map to body organs" in an alternative medicine journal to make a point. He'd then been arrested as they claimed he was committing scientific fraud. I thought this was immensley entertaining and was a very good way to skewer nonsense- although it did backfire.

So at the interview I brought this up in an attempt to get the inside scoop (thinking they must have heard about it) and thinking it would be an original question! They looked at me like I was an idiot- either they hadn't heard or did not want to talk about it! Got an offer though!

References from the BMJ to prove this is real!

Integrative medicine and the point of credulity -- McLachlan 341 -- bmj.com

Sign In

6. MEDEVAC

MEDEVAC New Member

Mine:

Tell us about your career path..

You mean my career ricochet? Got an offer though :)

7. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

In my Bart's interview, I admitted I was a lazy student first time round. But still got an offer...

8. cake or death?

Lazy student and you got a 1st! You must have a brain the size of a horse!

9. Autumn Island

Autumn Island New Member

At one interview they asked how I deal with stress and I gave a fairly standard answer about being pretty good at coping with it and keeping a sense of perspective; when they asked again I mentioned travelling and spending time with family and friends to relax; when they asked a third time how I cope with stress on a daily basis I replied "chocolate and red wine!" which isn't too smart considering the prevalence of alcoholism in medicine. But I received an offer so I guess honesty counts.

At a different school I had a, erm, difference of opinion with the interviewer who insisted I ignore my own research when answering the question; when I said I couldn't do that I don't think he was impressed. My PhD supervisor was happy, but my application to that school was unsuccessful ;-)

10. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Nope. Just always attended lectures and then asked questions, if I didn't understand any topics. However between lectures i did bugger all. and virtually never did the workshop/tutorial prep. PBL will be a challenge!

11. Kaiser Wilhelm

Kaiser Wilhelm New Member

I can totally identify with this Martigan as I was the same. I'll remember to say it in any interviews I get.

12. birduk

birduk New Member

My answer to how I dealt with stress- I like to run around in green and pretend to shoot people.

I'm in the TA by the way ;) But he did say it was the most original answer he had ever had- and I got that offer!

13. medicinal

medicinal New Member

could you give me advice on the UKCAT, and how best to go about doing it? i've got the book, and i seem to run out of time - how do i perfect my qr section, and also, i keep rapidly running out of time!

14. halfadoc

halfadoc New Member

Hey Medicinal, you might be best off asking in the UKCAT thread, would give you advice myself but I was the first year they ran ukcat so it was a little different then, plus it seems a long time ago and memory of it is foggy lol

15. halfadoc

halfadoc New Member

*bump* Come on current applicants, you must have some amusing tales!

16. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

Ok...i'll go first.

As quite a proficient swimmer who's been swimming competitively since the age of 10, i'm not sure where the following came from. My impression of a mauled animal thrashing in water was only made worse by me following the impression with: "Except, I don't look like a dying seal when I swim"

Cue "oookay" looks from the interviewers and me trying to swiftly move onto the fact that I also like listening to music and watching live bands. I dont think they'll forget my impression though. Oops.

17. Big_hitter_andy

Big_hitter_andy New Member

When they said "the interview is now over, you can relax". I pretended to slump in my seat and sigh as a joke and proceeded to knock the complimetary bottle of water over. Smooth. It was like, frigging, "Mr Bean Goes to Medical School".

18. grub

grub New Member

That made me laugh!

19. Obs or peads

Obs or peads New Member

Me too - so much so that my husband who is sitting next to me marking exams started adding up the points speaking loudly (I was clearly distracting him). Love it!

20. Obs or peads

Obs or peads New Member

Me too - so much so that my husband who is sitting next to me marking exams started adding up the points speaking loudly (I was clearly distracting him). Love it!