1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank you A2M, completed med school!

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Mamba, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Mamba

Mamba Member

7 years ago I came to this site and sought assistance with my access course interview and tests.

The people here helped me considerably and A2M has changed my life in a huge way.

From a young boy I wanted to be a doctor but due to my schooling and lack of belief, I ruled it out. At age 26, I realised that I could mould my life and the world around me, I just had to simply....do it.

I did my A2M in Manchester, then at age 27 I started med school, now 33 I have finished. It is never too late people!

I owe a huge thank you to this site, to Dr Phillipou, to MANCAT A2M.

For everyone considering access or working hard in it right now, stick it out... it works xxx

All the best to you future doctors x

Mamba

MemZiY2K likes this.
  2. fatimakhodair

fatimakhodair New Member

Hi I was wondering if you could give me advice on the access to medicine course, I was interviewed by a Dr Phillipou and I do hope they're the same person! I would greatly appreciate anything you can give me. Thank you.

3. Doctorteeth

Doctorteeth New Member

Wonderful to hear such a success story Mamba.

I studies an access course last year and it got me into med school. I have just completed the first year and so far the journey has been unbelievable.

4. Mamba

Mamba Member

I hope you got in, just make sure you work hard and get at least a distinction in everything. Put ALL of your spare time into writing an amazing and unique personal statement, something that will stand out.

It is a long journey and it is very demanding. This week I had confirmation that I have achieved an MBBCh, I am now a doctor.

Access to Medicine works. I encourage you to look at my earlier posts here. I started this 7year journey here on this site and it was hugely helpful and encouraging.

All the best x

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Congrats Mamba!

Where is your F1? Not many seem to throw you straight at A&E!

6. LePomS

LePomS Member

Mamba, can you explain why you did access? I'm 26 also. Not sure if I'm eligible

7. Mamba

Mamba Member

I didn't have the alevels and needed to get my maths GCSE, access is done in one year and starts from the basics. I had been out of education for 10 yrs, so A2M was ideal.

It was perfect for me......and works, I graduated yesterday.

You had to be over 21 to do A2M when I did it and now you need the GCSE math before you start it. Anyone interested in doing medicine and have no higher ed, there is no better opportunity in my humble opinion. I am very grateful for a second chance.

26 is not old....Get signed up

8. LePomS

LePomS Member

Thanks mamba, don't think I am eligible for it as I do have alevels but are of a poor level, plus have BSc and msc. Thanks again.

9. persianmd

persianmd Member

Congratulations Mamba and best of luck in your F1 role! :)

10. Mamba

Mamba Member

LePoms

I know people that were in that situation, they got in. Just have a good reason for not doing well first time. I heard people say everything from "i was immature" to "I was distracted by parties and having fun"...

As long as you are good enough now, that is all that matters.

11. joel203

joel203 New Member

I am in a similar position as LePoms
    do you know if these people got accepted onto medicine or just on to the access course
    regards

12. Jan03

Jan03 New Member

Hi..which med school did you get into?

13. Mamba

Mamba Member

Cardiff

14. Jan03

Jan03 New Member

I am planning to do the same course as you hopefully next year..could you suggest any tips for me
    so that i succeed to get into med as yourself. :)

15. Mamba

Mamba Member

Just keep going....it's a good decade of your life gone. Day and night, week and weekends. It's relentless, but if you want to be a doctor it is worth it.

16. libiparpar

libiparpar New Member

I did A2M as well at Kings Lynn, having come from a completely Arts background. I went to uni in the USA and have 2 BAs in Religious Studies (Columbia University New York) and Jewish Philosophy (the Jewish Theological Seminary). I also have an MA in teaching. NOT medical.

The access year was incredibly difficult for me from a learning curve standpoint as I had terrible science and maths teaching first time round in USA high school and also didn't work very hard. The hard work was was well worth it and I got 3 of 4 offers, graduated from Brighton and Sussex Medical School in 2012, gained a place at Central Manchester Foundation Trust's Manchester Royal Infirmary and...

I am THRILLED that today I was offered the job of my dreams, one of 26 of the incredibly competitive ACCS Emergency Medicine jobs at North Central and East London including hospitals like Barts and Tommys, Great Ormand and Royal London.

I'm celebrating here a bit but what I really mean is YOU CAN DO IT. I was 28 when I started med school, I'll never be a 'young consultant', but I have been told multiple times that life experience is in your favour.

Come one, give it a shot, apply. What could you possibly have to lose?

Good luck!!!!

17. Mamba

Mamba Member

Awesome, I want to do ACCS also! Very inspirational, good on you x

18. Alyssie

Alyssie New Member

Congratulation and thank you!