Thinking of applying...

Discussion in 'Western Australia Medical School' started by Dig Health and Nature, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Dig Health and Nature

Hi,
    I'm not planning on applying to Canadian medical schools til next August or September (2007), but I was thinking of applying to Australian medical schools, including this one. When do you recommend applying for January 2008 entry? Also, how should I prepare to apply...other than an undergrad degree, science courses, volunteer work, research experience, and extracurriculars? I'd appreciate any advice.

2. everyadam

everyadam New Member

Hey Dig,

The deadline for Australian schools have passed and acceptances at most schools have been given out for the 2007 intake. I suggest you apply as early as possible like in June for the 2008 cycle. However, this is not absolutely necessary because Australian schools aren't on rolling admissions. They usually wait until everybody has submitted their applications and then rank the applicants accordingly. I got my acceptance back in September and I had applied in August - the deadline was August 31. Along with the things you listed above, you're going to need to take the MCAT and score at least an 8 in every section to qualify for one of the graduate entry med schools, i.e. USYD, Flinders, UQ, Wollongong, (I heard that Melbourne was going to switch to graduate entry in the near future). They also want your high school transcripts along with your university one. Good luck!