Trainee SAS techies September 2017 job applications

Lauren27

Thought I would start a wee thread for this years intake and see how everyone gets on initially in the application stage

I see Glasgow Cally are now offering Paramedical Science 3 Year degree anyone any thoughts if this will impact on future techie numbers and or their chance of progression to paramedic

secondly has any one noticed the entry requirements changed from July Core skills are no longer on the list or even the equivalent list I have e mailed and waiting to hear any one had issues with qualifications ?? I have various Highers , standard grades , an SVQ level 7 and a Scottish group award at Higher in social science this is where I got all my core skills including numeracy as I was terrible with maths at school doesn't help the teacher was useless

Any way good luck everyone !!!

Bravecoward

If your talking about the application advertised on MyJobscotland for trainee Ambulance Techs with the closing date this week, I popped mine in a week ago. I hope my application is strong enough, but need to pass my C1 which hopefully shouldnt be too difficult as I did the D1 in my previous career. Currently have 5 highers and 6 O-grades/standard Grades, so I'm hoping this is sufficient.

Lauren27

If your talking about the application advertised on MyJobscotland for trainee Ambulance Techs with the closing date this week, I popped mine in a week ago. I hope my application is strong enough, but need to pass my C1 which hopefully shouldnt be too difficult as I did the D1 in my previous career. Currently have 5 highers and 6 O-grades/standard Grades, so I'm hoping this is sufficient.
I do I need to change the title of the post lol
I put my application in at weekend as long as u have math and English u will be fine
I hope my application is good enough as well
Good luck

Laurabelle84

Hiya, just found this post when I was looking for some last minute info for my application.

I've got all the qualifications, just finding it difficult to put down the evidence for the competencies......I have it all I just don't know how to word it ha! Or know if theyre looking for specific examples.

Will put the finishing touches to it tomorrow before submitting. I don't actually have much faith I'll get past the application stage but hoping they'll give me feedback so I can improve for future applications.

Good luck guys :)

Lauren27

Hiya, just found this post when I was looking for some last minute info for my application.

I've got all the qualifications, just finding it difficult to put down the evidence for the competencies......I have it all I just don't know how to word it ha! Or know if theyre looking for specific examples.

Will put the finishing touches to it tomorrow before submitting. I don't actually have much faith I'll get past the application stage but hoping they'll give me feedback so I can improve for future applications.

Good luck guys :)
If u want send me a message about the bits you are really struggling with I'm not saying I will be a great help by the way But I will try
I think the best thing you can do is just be yourself on your application don't make complicated . Go onto the NHS website and search the KSF competencies I'll try get the web address for u

Laurabelle84

If u want send me a message about the bits you are really struggling with I'm not saying I will be a great help by the way But I will try
I think the best thing you can do is just be yourself on your application don't make complicated . Go onto the NHS website and search the KSF competencies I'll try get the web address for u
Thanks Lauren. I’ve got all the info I need & been looking as the KSF website, I’m just not too confident in my answers. I’m used to having to give specific examples for compentencies as opposed to evidence so just need to adapt my way of thinking about the answers ;) x

Bravecoward

Didn't realise there was a dedicated KSF page. Although I think I put my examples across ok using specific incidents I've dealt with in the past using the STAR technique. But, who knows...

Karenls82

In regards to the ksf elements I only wrote short paragraphs for each element think it's easier if u already work for NHS and have done eksf before.
Good luck to u all who applied! Be patient it's a long process :rolleyes:

MACALEE

Good luck to all applying! I'll try keep an eye out here and help out where I can. I'm one of the most recent to be on an intake in West Central devision, just about to go on the road.

With regards to a previous post earlier about future of techs/paras in the service already and this new GCU route. It shouldn't affect the recruitment of techs, nor should it affect the progression of techs in the service who would like to go for their para training.

It's not been made too public but Techncians are now a Band 5 and Paras are now Band 6. I think this is reflected in the new job spec but in case it isn't I thought I'd highlight that. Quite a considerable pay difference from the old Band 4 posting.

Lauren27

Thanks Lauren. I’ve got all the info I need & been looking as the KSF website, I’m just not too confident in my answers. I’m used to having to give specific examples for compentencies as opposed to evidence so just need to adapt my way of thinking about the answers ;) x
It's not easy I know

Lauren27

I
Didn't realise there was a dedicated KSF page. Although I think I put my examples across ok using specific incidents I've dealt with in the past using the STAR technique. But, who knows...
didn't either I stumbled across it and had already written most of my application however I found it useful. I wrote mine as a mixture of skills I have with some experience examples mixed in . Not sure if what I have done is correct if not hope I can gain some feedback for next time

Lauren27

In regards to the ksf elements I only wrote short paragraphs for each element think it's easier if u already work for NHS and have done eksf before.
Good luck to u all who applied! Be patient it's a long process :rolleyes:
How long are we talking Karen lol I know it's months and months . Any idea of average timeframe from shortlisting until interview/fitness just wondering how long I have to try get up to 30kg

Lauren27

Good luck to all applying! I'll try keep an eye out here and help out where I can. I'm one of the most recent to be on an intake in West Central devision, just about to go on the road.

With regards to a previous post earlier about future of techs/paras in the service already and this new GCU route. It shouldn't affect the recruitment of techs, nor should it affect the progression of techs in the service who would like to go for their para training.

It's not been made too public but Techncians are now a Band 5 and Paras are now Band 6. I think this is reflected in the new job spec but in case it isn't I thought I'd highlight that. Quite a considerable pay difference from the old Band 4 posting.
Thanks Maca good to know as paramedic is what I would like to achieve I did notice a change in Banding this time and well deserved i think

Karenls82

How long are we talking Karen lol I know it's months and months . Any idea of average timeframe from shortlisting until interview/fitness just wondering how long I have to try get up to 30kg
Well i applied last April as in 2016 lol and starting my training in a few weeks there's seems to have been lots of delays but they have completely overhauled the training program and the banding review held things up as well....
Start ur weight training now just in case you don't get a lot of notice before fitness test ;)

Lauren27

Well i applied last April as in 2016 lol and starting my training in a few weeks there's seems to have been lots of delays but they have completely overhauled the training program and the banding review held things up as well....
Start ur weight training now just in case you don't get a lot of notice before fitness test ;)
I'm on it :D

Bravecoward

Thankfully its not having to run a mile and a half in under 11 minutes that I had to do in a previous career, so Im hoping I'll be ok fitness-wise. Just to put it into a fun style of perspective, 2 x 15Kg weights is about the equivalent of carrying an adult male staffordshire bull terrier in each hand. The weights should be fairly easy to do as long as you have a good grip, as I doubt you will be doing arm curls. :)

Lauren27

Thankfully its not having to run a mile and a half in under 11 minutes that I had to do in a previous career, so Im hoping I'll be ok fitness-wise. Just to put it into a fun style of perspective, 2 x 15Kg weights is about the equivalent of carrying an adult male staffordshire bull terrier in each hand. The weights should be fairly easy to do as long as you have a good grip, as I doubt you will be doing arm curls. :)
Yeah I'm just not that strong lol plus I have cubital nerve surgery on my a three months ago that's why I couldn't apply sooner. I'm up to 15kg the now just add more each week and before u know I'll be wanting to do bicep curls to the assesors lol