1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring to medicine after a year of Biological Science

Discussion in 'Leicester Medical School' started by xX-FR-Xx, Mar 24, 2008.

1. xX-FR-Xx

xX-FR-Xx New Member

hey does anyone know how likely it is for a person to transfer to medicine after completing a year of Biological Science? is it very difficult to do this? I know that you have to be a 'high performing student' to be eligible for a transfer to leicester med skl. Also, can i apply for a transfer to Medicine at a different university.
    I applied to medicine this year, but i got rejected from EVERYWHERE:(. Leicester say they can offer Biological science to me, but the thing is, i would only take the place, if transferring to medicine after a year was not very difficult. please help:)

2. .: Hope :.

.: Hope :. New Member

There is no guarantee whatsoever of transferring to medicine from any biological/biomedical science course. It is possible of course but very difficult, and even if you do get through (very slim chance) you'll have to start from year 1 of med school...

If these 4 are your first rejections for medical school (i.e. you haven't taken a year out already) I strongly advise you to take a gap year and improve your application. (see my intro (M) on the blog in my sig)...

If your circumstances don't allow you to take a year out, I recommend you apply to the clinical science course at bradford. After the first year (and 65% average in exams with a successful interview) Leeds medical school take on a maximum of 20 students from the course to YEAR 2 hence you don't waste a year of your life! I am not saying it's easy to achieve 65% cos the content of the first year in clin sci mirrors the content of 1st yr leeds med school... but you may have a better chance of transferring to med school and like I said before you don't need to worry abt spending five more years at uni...

You can apply via UCAS Extra (they do interview btw but it's quite informal).

3. .: Hope :.

.: Hope :. New Member

4. amitrama86

amitrama86 New Member

hey..am a bio science student here meself at leicester....
    I help run the open days for Medical Biochemistry... They're making a change for the 08/09 yr in that the top 1st yr students would be offerd some kinda route to lesta med skl... i dont think it would be straight into med skl, so interview myt be involved.. also.. it wud involve dropping a year too..but who cares about that if you're into medicine!
    As far as i know, this only applies for the 08/09 year for students doing Med Biochm, Med Physiology or Med Genetics... And it hasn't been decided whether to keep this goin for the years after...

5. mullanyman7

mullanyman7 New Member

Most students are advised to completely withdraw from that course altogether before application to Medicine. This highlights your dislike for that course and how much you want to do Medicine. Get a job as a HCA and prove how much you want to be involved with medicine. My friend did exactly this and he is now going to Leicester in September.

6. Giggy

Giggy New Member

I'm still waiting to hear from Leicetser following my interview, with 3 other rejections (all without interview) that makes it my last chance.

I am holding an offer for Meical Biochemistry but if I don't get an offer for Medicine then I don't like the thought of doing 3 years of biochemistry and I really hate the thought of taking a year out so I really don't know what I'd do.

Is the above true that a transfer is possible? If so then that may cause me to edge in the direction of taking the medical biochem offer if I get nothing else. If so then I wouldn't care about losing a year and starting back in 1st year as long as I got on the course, I'd much rather do it that way than spend a year outside of study.

7. far_14

far_14 New Member

leicester offer the biomedical science course to pretty much everyone that gets rejected from medicine.

If you're really committed to doing medicine then my advice is that you take a year out, get lots of experience and reapply to leicester or anywhere else.

8. Chulalongkorn

Chulalongkorn New Member

I will be honest and say not a chance. There is no point pretending there is. Im all my years at LMS no one transferred from Biological Sciences to Medicine. The med school years were oversubscribed and they would not have even had room for more med students even if they seriously considered transfers, which they do not.

If you do not wish to study a Medical Biological Science degree do not accept. Get work experience and re-apply if you feel you have a good chance of competing. Do not be fooled by stories of possible transfers, it just dosn't happen.

9. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

transfer stories are there to boost the profits of ailing uni departments and keep staff in pen pushing jobs.

whilst you slave away earning money on weekends for further study and doing experiments no one in the world wants to do.

dont be their suckers.

10. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

well ok a few peeple want to do them!

11. nap

nap New Member

the transfer only applys to ppl taking either MEDICAL genetics, medical biochemistry and medical Physiology to medicine after the first year.
    NOT Biological Sciences

12. amitrama86

amitrama86 New Member

In response to this, I would redo your research. I'm not talkin bullcr4p, I helped with the open days in 07/08 at Leicester for Medical Biochemistry, and it is very real that top 1st year students in these 3 degrees will be offered interviews (not straight offers) for Leicester Med School for the following year. So real that Prof. Challis (head of Med Phys) ended up tellin me how he is gutted that HIS top students would be entered for interviews for LMS, and, if successful, be leaving his course... overall, reducing the top level students....

13. hark

hark Member

This year they've included Biological Sciences too.

14. The_Mith

The_Mith New Member

I dunno about this...

Firstly the chances seem slim

Secondly I haven't heard of many medical schools recieving transfers (not that I'm saying anyones being dishonest, just not somethin I know of!)

If I were in your situation (I assume your doing A levels?) I would take the gap year, get the grades I need, pick up some work/life experience then reapply for 2010 entry. That way you can strengthen your application, you'll have your grades and you can apply to four medical schools again (instead of just leicester). It makes more sense to me that way.

15. Giggy

Giggy New Member

I posted this on a thread with a similar theme today, thought I may as well put it here too.

16. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

you r a true medic, macca.

17. Jonathan Ford

Jonathan Ford New Member

Good advice, bad advice...

Bad advice - I'm at Leicester, and there is a girl in my study group who transferred from Biomedical Sciences (or similar), at the end of her first year into the first year of medicine.

Good advice - don't study biomedical sciences if you don't want to be a biomedical scientist. It is not a realistic backdoor into medicine. Plus, I would imagine it's deadfully dull. Take a year out, do something interesting, profitable or both, and apply again next year.

18. Ven

Ven New Member

Just to add my 2 cents on this matter.. from this year, there is an OFFICIAL transfer system in place at leicester medical school for those students doing biological sciences and medical biological sciences. Alongside having a 1st at the end of your 1st year exams, you will also need to have achieved a minimum of ABB (or something along those lines) in your A-levels. In addition to this, you will also need to do another personal statement, references and UKCAT, and then once you get through all of them, you will have to do an interview. If you are successful in getting through all these quite significant obstacles, then you will transfer onto the 1st year of the leicester medical school. (btw, for all you sceptics out there, I have spoken to the director of biological sciences who runs this system, so what I have said is fact, not hearsay.)

Given that there are actual guidelines for this transfer (on blackboard) for all biological sciences students, its NO MYTH!! However, it is very very difficult to get past these stages and although it is not really mentioned, I think only a handful of places are devoted to transfers (maybe 5 or so). So, this course is not really a backdoor for medicine but it does give you a chance to save a couple of years before getting into medicine. But consider the consequences if you don't make it via the transfer system. You will have to complete the degree and reapply in your 3rd year. So, it is no shortcut but you can use it as a stepping stone for getting into medicine, if that is truly what you want. Also, bear in mind that this course is not easy by any means, so don't come into it thinking it will be an easy alternative. You will have to do some serious work throughout the year.

If you want to relax a bit and enjoy the year before starting medicine, then take a GAP year, get more work experience and reapply. Hope this helps. :)

19. Chulalongkorn

Chulalongkorn New Member

Looks like things have changed since my time there, with a confirmed transfer in JFs year and now a structured application process for the "chosen few".

I would still advise VERY careful consideration before going down the route of holding out for a transfer. Getting the marks for a First is no easy task. And even if you do get an interview it restricts you to LMS. Taking a gap year, strengthening your application and applying to 4 med schools for 2010 entry is far more likely to yield success.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

20. brash48

brash48 New Member

after 4 rejects for Medical school I am offered a bio science at Leicester with the option of transfer to Medicine subject to "top performing student" performance in the 1st year of the bio course.

Can anyone offer me some recent information on this? And is anybody else got similar offer from Leicester?