Trinity or St. Andrew's???

Discussion in 'Trinity College Dublin Medical School' started by 147.ni.mhurchu, Aug 24, 2007.

1. 147.ni.mhurchu

147.ni.mhurchu New Member

I have offers from both and I, honestly, haven't a clue where I should go. PLEASE help me! I LOVE St. Andrew's but, naturally, the "safe" route is very appealing too. Has anyone got advice? Thanks.

2. LumiGrrl

LumiGrrl New Member

Academically TCD and St Andrew's are equally good, from what I've understood. I think your choice probably boils down to which location you prefer. You're from Ireland, right? I would probably go for St Andrew's if I could choose between the universities. Here's why:

St Andrew's is well-respected and I've been told things generally run more smoothly in the UK than in Ireland. The overall academic culture (including efficiency) tends to affect the delivery of your education too. St Andrew's is supposed to be pretty tight-knit so I'm sure getting to know new people is not a problem. Apparently there are quite a few Irish students in Scotland, so I'm sure you won't be the only Irish student at St Andrew's. ;)

And if you are worried about leaving home, don't be. After spending four out of the past five years abroad and away from home (my parents live in Finland), I can honestly say that not seeing my parents every day/weekend/month has made my relationship with them closer. Whenever I do see them, we get along much better than we used to (e.g. this summer). It seems like they appreciate me more, and I actually enjoy spending time with them. It sort of takes away the whole teenager-parent default setting and replaces with a younger adult-older adult relationship. Well, not instantly but after some time anyways :)

The thing with moms, though, is that when you do see them after spending a semester away, they will want to make sure you have whatever clothes etc. you need for your next semester. It's amazing how stuff like that adds up, and how you find better use for your money than buying clothes. So your basics are covered, as long as you remember to study, eat and have fun when you live away from home. :) Besides, there's always email and mobile phones, which are handy for some homesickness venting, should you need the social safety network of a home. And don't forget, as Ireland is not far from Scotland, flying home or having your friends/family come visit you in Scotland should also be possible.

Don't get me wrong, moving to another country and experiencing a new culture isn't always easy. But if you choose to make the most of the experience, it is well worth it. It's neat how you might find yourself taking up new hobbies/sports and in doing so, find new things about yourself.

I don't think you'll have to worry about tuition fees as you'll just have to pay the graduate endowment fee (£2000?) when you graduate. And St Andrew's is probably the same or cheaper than Dublin when it comes to living costs. It's also close to Edinburgh which is supposed to be a cool city. After you finish med school, as an EU med school grad you have your options open. If you find that you do want to return to Ireland, that's possible too.

So I guess for me, it would boil down to the social aspects. That's just my opinion though. I got four A's at A-level (studied in England as a mature student) and applied through the CAO to study medicine. I thought I'd get a place since I was supposed to get 600 points from four A's. But this year, A-level applicants were considered in a separate pool for medicine. Random selection was used for everyone with 4 A's.

No offers so far, I'm hoping to get a place in the Second Round. I do have an 'insurance' place (firm offer) to study Biology in Edinburgh, if Ireland doesn't work out.

#2 LumiGrrl, Aug 24, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  3. 147.ni.mhurchu

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that, it was extremely generous and a lot of it echoed my feelings on the matter. If you don't mind me asking, why have you chosen Ireland over the UK for medicine?

B. Murphy

4. LumiGrrl

LumiGrrl New Member

My situation

Well, I would have wanted to stay in the UK after studying there for two years. But, I guess I picked my four med schools a little too ambitiously (Cambridge, UCL, KCL and Imperial) and didn't get any offers. :( So, that's why I'm hoping Ireland will (still) work out for me...

I'm 24 as I did three years of international volunteer work after finishing my Finnish A-level equivalent studies. Decided I wanted to do medicine during that time, hence the A-level route with bio, chemistry, physics and mathematics. My Finnish A-level equivalent studies were in psychology and languages.

5. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

ay, macca. i found the london unis were some of the easiest to get into. perhaps your application really needed reworking towards them?

anyways, i wuld go ireland afore st andrews anyday, cos its a real city full of life.

6. LumiGrrl

LumiGrrl New Member

Well, I did all sciences (bio, chem, physics and maths), got AAAA and all my teachers liked my personal statement. I also have three years of international volunteer work under my belt and did a Nuffield science bursary the summer after my AS year at UCL. This was all while I was supporting myself financially for two years, without any sort of support from the UK or Finnish government.

I think the problem was that I was sick on the day of the BMAT (used by three of the four med schools I applied to) and couldn't concentrate at all, despite heavy (prescribed) meds. Sent a doctor's note to the admissions tutors but I don't think they realised just how bad I felt. As far as KCL goes, I did decent on the UKCAT but I guess I didn't get lucky. Also, none of the med schools I applied to are particularly mature-student friendly.

I think it boils down to getting an interview. Once you get to the interview stage, you stand a pretty good chance of getting an offer. I know some very good applicants who didn't get interviewed in the UK and therefore didn't get a place. On the other hand, I know other applicants (not so good) who now have a place.

Gizmo, it's fine if you would choose Ireland over St Anderew's based on city life. In my opinion, though, a tight-knit student community can be more supportive and fun than a large(ish) university and a city. Those can start seeming a little insular and impersonal after a while. And since 147.ni.mhurcu is Irish, experiencing another country and a way of life can be a pretty eye-opening and positive experience. After living in three countries over the past five years (after turning 19), that's just my opinion.

#6 LumiGrrl, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  7. Illaria07

Illaria07 New Member

Out of interest does Trinity intreview and is the deadline for UCAS still apply at Trinity college?

8. Illaria07

Illaria07 New Member

does the deadline... i mean! thank you, i dont know anything about irish schools, im applying this year for medicine and hold an offer from manchester (their word anyway), i just want to keep my options open! Im a re-sit candidate, i wasnt too well during my exams and i achieved ABB, so i will be re-sitting this year in my gap year. Do i have a chance?

9. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle New Member

DON'T GO TO TRINITY!!!It's awful. I dropped out of science there I hated the uni so much. It's full of stuck up pigs yelling trinners for winners, my arse!Plus I know someone who knows someone studying medicine there and they don't like it very much. They feel it's too traditional and that they are quite archaic in their thinking. Plus the building is ugly though I must admit the biology lab is pretty cool. I just felt that there was very little support and that the course wasn't designed with the student in mind.

Check out the college of surgeons. I know a few doctors and surgeons who studied there and absolutely loved it. They seem to have the most modern approach out of all the colleges in Ireland with systems based modules and pretty cool lookin simulation devices for stuff like laparoscopic surgery! So you may not have the opportunity to meet students from other courses like in the other unis but looking at it realistically with the demands of the course you wouldn't have time anyway.

Good luck with your application wherever you decide to go:)

10. 147.ni.mhurchu

I actually decided to go to Trinity in the end! I know what you mean about the superiority complexes though. I have to say, however, that I'm enjoying the course and find the facilities and teaching very good. I hope it continues in such fashion! Thanks so much for replying though.

B Murphy

11. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle New Member

Prepare to be bombarded!I'm applying for medicine again in Ireland if my application to the UK falls through. Are you in the hamilton at all? what size are your lecture groups and tutorials?Is it systems based or subject based?Do you know vicky malone (she's in first year there too)? Ooh and the sci fi soc is pretty cool it's in a room where books line three of the walls with comfy couches and a big ass tv:D

12. 147.ni.mhurchu

Oh, this is my third week, the bombardment has already begun!!! There's about 140 in the class now after the rechecks but we do physiology and biochemistry with physio and radiotherapy students, respectively. We haven't had any tutorials but we have Problem based learning sessions in groups of about 11. We dissect in groups of 8. We don't spend too much time in the Hamilton to be honest, we're mostly in goldsmith hall, the chemistry lecture theatre or the anatomy building. If you've any more questions, fire away!

13. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle New Member

Do they have a five year course available there?