UCL vs. Imperial?

Discussion in 'Royal Free and University College Medical School' started by CoS88, Sep 15, 2006.

1. CoS88

CoS88 New Member

:confused: Hey, hate to break in on the fresher excitement, but would anyone like to be a nice person and explain to a poor, bemused '07 applicant what the main differences are between the med courses at UCL and Imperial? I was originally planning to head for Imperial, but then I just went to the UCL open day this week, and became a total convert to the Wonders Of UCL.:D So now all you people need to do is convince me that the UCL course is better than Imperial (in what ways?) and I shall wholeheartedly change my mind.

So...help?

2. Punam

Punam Member

u can choose which yr to take the intercalated BSc...whereas at imp, u HAVE to do it after ur 4th yr or something.

oh and ucl'ers are WAY cooler :D
    welcome to the dark side

3. BKS

BKS New Member

What put me off going to Imperial was the 7:3 Male:Female ratio across the uni as a whole.

Of course, I'm a bloke. If you're a girl, it's probably a good thing.

4. Parag

Parag New Member

I was going to apply to both but I decided to not apply for Imperial after going down and visiting it on a random day just to see what it was like and the area etc., whereas when I visited UCL it just made me want to go there even more.

5. danielf90

danielf90 New Member

I HATED imperial when i went down! The area was TOO posh and the actually UNI area had horrible 70's concrete buildings. UCL was just perfect, much better location!

UCL's main campus has a hospital there (that BIG green building, lol), which is SO convenient for clinical teaching (and if u hurt urself, lol). ALSO there's another med campus (in hampstead) where teaching is done - in another hospital (Royal Free).

If you liked the atmosphere of UCL, then u shud go for UCL! You'll fit in better!

6. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

mor differences -

imperial - better bursaries for poorer stoodents; hospitals closer together, museums close by.
    but, pbl is crap there (according to imperial stoodents).
    shite community in kensington

ucl - next to ULU and other uni of london sites, which is pretty unique. brit museum near at 'and.
    course. more faculties to mix wif. prettier hehe but wat isnt compared to imp? i like the big quadrangle.
    more bustlier city centre activity, though not necessarily a better a community.

#6 Gizmo says -, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  7. Jiny

Jiny New Member

I love UCL because it's so friendly and supportive. The interview was a typical - transparent, friendly and straightforward. They don't try to rattle you or play games like good cop/bad cop. I have a high degree of trust in the staff and have seen several instances when they have been there for students in my year. The course is extremely efficiently run and organised.

The quality of teaching may be the reason why UCL medical students outperform Imperial in the London medal for best London student of each finals year. I think that UCL got all 3 top places last year and 1st place this year - altogether 4 of the last 6 medallists seem to have been from UCL.

http://www.medical-student.co.uk/gold/ for list of winners up to 2004

2006:
    University of London Gold Medal in Medicine: Student Jake Foster (UCL Medical School), as the best medical student in the University of London
    2005:
    Gold Medal for UCL medical student
    Link:
    UCL’s Medical School

Three UCL medical students were recognised on 24 June 2005 as the overall best graduating medical students in the University of London. Etienne Wang (Medical School 2005) won the University of London Gold Medal for Medicine.

As runner–up, Syed Sohaib (Medical School 2005) won the Beutel Prize, while Melanie Spooner (Medical School 2005) placed third.

Based on the results of their final examinations – which are taken each year by approximately 1,500 students – 19 candidates were nominated by their medical schools. They sat a special medal examination at the University of London, being interviewed by examiners on: pathology; medicine; surgery; clinical pharmacology and therapeutics; obstetrics and gynaecology; and paediatrics. The criteria examined were: knowledge; clinical context, therapeutic relevance and evidence–base; social and community context and relevance; recent advances; and judgement and reasoning.

#7 Jiny, Sep 16, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  8. Stevesey Zissou

Stevesey Zissou New Member

I think he/she already knows that UCL is miles better as a place to be, but was wondering what the differences were between the courses. I have no idea because I didn't really consider Imperial a viable option, but I would imagine they would be very similar due to the GMC's controlling influence. I think UCL do a much cooler BSc (space medicine anyone?), but (correct me if I'm wrong Spencer) I think you can do your BSc at any London university...

9. Stevesey Zissou

[​IMG]

If you can understand this, you're a smarter person than me...

10. Spencer Wells

Spencer Wells Noodly Doctory Moderator

You can do your iBSc at any med school in the country Stevesey.

11. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

except notts

12. eron

eron New Member

apply to king's its well good there

13. rumble

rumble New Member

i have gotta say the people at UCL seem sooo much more laid back n fun than the impers.....as in im sure they are nice its just that they seem a bit touchy and dare i say it a bit "precious".

I wanna go to cambridge just for the laughs but defo wanna go to UCL for my clinicals....the people are much more sociable!!

Soz imperial

14. Stevesey Zissou

I was gonna do that, but then I came to my senses. RFUCMS is the best med school in the WORLD, baby! WOOO!

And I would imagine the Cambods will be more "precious" than the gImps...

15. CoS88

CoS88 New Member

That is EXACTLY what I was like when I went there on...*thinks back* Wednesday. I was just walking around like "...sorry, Imperial who?"

16. CoS88

CoS88 New Member

OH, and out of interest, do either of them do much PBL?

17. Spencer Wells

Spencer Wells Noodly Doctory Moderator

Nah there isn't much PBL at either.

At UCL it's about 2 hours per week during preclinicals, where you are set a problem and have to solve it within the two hours in a group of your chosing. After those 2 hours are up (or when you finish) you leave and never have to think about it again (except for around exam time).

18. CoS88

CoS88 New Member

I like the sound of that...just a tiny little bit but not obsessivel...

19. CoS88

CoS88 New Member

Oh, and another question - any idea about what the applicant:place ratio is?

20. CoS88

CoS88 New Member

sorry, meant the applicant : place ratio!