UEA interviews

new2newmedia

Hello!

I have my interview on Wednesday.

What preparation are people doing?

I think UEA is hard to prepare for. Personally I've read up a bit on medical ethics and the NHS reforms but I'm trying to do what they advise and just answer whatever they ask spontaneously and honestly.

becka

interview :)

hey!
how did your interview go? :)

I've applied to UEA for Medicine with a Foundation Year. My interview is on Monday, i know the format is similar to that of the 5 year course. Any tips you'd care to give me? As this obviously will not affect your chances..just be a great help to mine!

Thanks in advance

new2newmedia

hey!
how did your interview go? :)

I've applied to UEA for Medicine with a Foundation Year. My interview is on Monday, i know the format is similar to that of the 5 year course. Any tips you'd care to give me? As this obviously will not affect your chances..just be a great help to mine!

Thanks in advance
Hi Becka,

Congrats on your interview.

I can't tell you what they asked and there's no guarantee that if I did it would be the same but the way I approached mine was to be as honest as possible and avoid using jargon/"playing the game".

Personally I think it's really transparent when someone is saying things because they think it's the right thing to say rather than what they genuinely believe. I love reading CVs where people profess to be "passionate about analytics and data" - (vomit in mouth). Of course if you call the person interviewing you mate and say that hospitals smell bad then you've probably stepped over the line but my impression is that UEA is less about box ticking and more about personality. I would have thought this is especially true of the A104 course.

In my interview despite not being asked I seemed to have a compulsion to tell the interviewers that I had a bad memory and was intimidated by the science and studying with all the 18 year old hot-shots. This wasn't sufficiently detrimental to not get an offer and may have worked to my advantage? If you can't be objective and reflective then this will hamper you as a doctor - you could say.

The other thing to bear in mind is that, although the A104 course is special, in general they are not low on people with amazing grades applying so what is it about you and them that makes a good match?

Sorry I can't say any more. Good luck! It was my only interview but anecdotally they are much friendlier than others and really aren't trying to trick you.

becka

Thanks for your advice!

Hi Becka,

Congrats on your interview.

I can't tell you what they asked and there's no guarantee that if I did it would be the same but the way I approached mine was to be as honest as possible and avoid using jargon/"playing the game".

Personally I think it's really transparent when someone is saying things because they think it's the right thing to say rather than what they genuinely believe. I love reading CVs where people profess to be "passionate about analytics and data" - (vomit in mouth). Of course if you call the person interviewing you mate and say that hospitals smell bad then you've probably stepped over the line but my impression is that UEA is less about box ticking and more about personality. I would have thought this is especially true of the A104 course.

In my interview despite not being asked I seemed to have a compulsion to tell the interviewers that I had a bad memory and was intimidated by the science and studying with all the 18 year old hot-shots. This wasn't sufficiently detrimental to not get an offer and may have worked to my advantage? If you can't be objective and reflective then this will hamper you as a doctor - you could say.

The other thing to bear in mind is that, although the A104 course is special, in general they are not low on people with amazing grades applying so what is it about you and them that makes a good match?

Sorry I can't say any more. Good luck! It was my only interview but anecdotally they are much friendlier than others and really aren't trying to trick you.

Just wanted to say thank you for all the tips :)
I understand that you were limited in what you could tell me but it was all useful so thanks again!
I had my interview yesterday and i think it went pretty well to be honest, or as good as could be expected! I was worried I'd get too worked up and nervous but i managed to keep my cool thankfully!
Are you starting at UEA in September? Or are you already there?

new2newmedia

Glad it went well for you.

I applied this year with deferred entry so, assuming open university course goes well, I'd be going in September 2013.

Did you get to see the campus and medical school?