1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Foundation Year Stand Alone Programs (for IMGs)

Discussion in 'PRHO and Foundation Years (FY1 and FY2)' started by Biba Baratheon, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Biba Baratheon

Biba Baratheon New Member

Dear friends,
    I am asking this question as an IMG with IELTS 7.5+ a current booking of PLAB1 exam (and hoping to pass it of course, IA), then go through PLAB2, and get eligibility for 'Provisional registration'. I gather this process can take many months.

We already have passed the deadline (oriel submission) for UK Foundation program Applications which closed in Aug 2017 for Aug 2018 candidates ( Can you believe it!), however the STAND ALONE FY1/FY2 Foundation Applications will start in January 2018 - Feb 2018 for the intake for Aug2018 batch, so there is still hope.

One thing is bugging me after reading the eligibility criteria for Stand alone program is that UKFPO is asking the candidates to either ' hold' full registration or expected to hold full registration before the application process. in my case I will not even be ready to apply for provisional registration before March April and the deadline for application is Feb! Does that mean I am screwed! I understand that a junior doctor will only get 'full registration from GMC' after completing Foundation-1 training, so how come stand alone position expects candidates to hold full registrations before they even start of application. I may be reading it wrong, can someone please clarify?

or Does that mean that they want to see your intention to hold a full registration? if in that case, is the PLAB booking be a good enough proof for them?

I don't know if any of you are in similar conundrum?
    Please do guide me I would really appreciate your response.

Also what's the difference b/w UKFPO Stand alone FY1 and LAS FY1 positions? any comments on that?

Kind regards
    Lady Baratheon

2. luna32

luna32 New Member

I have the same query, any updates on this? Maybe the stand alone programmes are to give a chance to applicants who didn't get allotted anywhere on the foundation programme. But you would still have to be fully registered?