1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UKCAT Scores for 2011 Entry (undergraduate)

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by bowes16, Aug 4, 2010.

1. bowes16

bowes16 New Member

So I think it'd be good to compare scores, give advice, ask questions etc. because it'll help to decide where to apply in the end!

I did mine today and got...

Verbal: 560
    Quantitative: 790
    Abstract: 570
    Decision: 700
    Average: 655

I'm not sure about these scores... quite a low average and not very consistant! :/

2. AwesomeLinda

AwesomeLinda New Member

VR: 540 :(
    QR: 760
    AR: 690
    DA: 620

AVG: 652.5
    I'm so depressed I've had to change two of my choices now(possibly three!)and I don't really know much about the other unis :S

Where are you applying to?

3. bowes16

bowes16 New Member

Yeah I'm annoyed with mine too! I'm not sure where to apply yet...I was hoping to apply to Sheffield but last year their UKCAT cut off was 670 so that's out the window :/ Bristol doesn't take the UKCAT so that's an option, Leeds and Liverpool don't put a lot of weight on it and I'd really like to go to Southampton. I'm going on most of my open days in September so I'll have to decide then! :S

How about you? :)

4. AwesomeLinda

AwesomeLinda New Member

I'm going to apply to peninsula/southampton/manchester/UEA and definitly keele because they're mostly all about the personal statement.
    My GCSE's weren't that great either so I'm limited even more. Sucks to be me I guess.

5. Tamar92

Tamar92 New Member

what does leeds care about?
    whats their weighting for ukcat?

6. bowes16

bowes16 New Member

Oooo I didn't know that about Keele.... Yeah I'm expecting to have to take a gap year or do a science degree :/ We'll get there somehow! :D

7. AwesomeLinda

AwesomeLinda New Member

Leeds care more about GCSE's I think, the more A*s you have, the better.

8. bowes16

bowes16 New Member

I spoke to the admissions office at Leeds and they said they use it primarily to decide between very similar applicants.

9. AwesomeLinda

AwesomeLinda New Member

Oh really? That's good, I was just saying what I saw on their website but most of the med schools' websites are pretty inaccurate and don't give you the full picture, especially cardiff.
    So do they have a UKCAT cut-off then? I never really considered it before but I might now.

10. bowes16

bowes16 New Member

There's no official cut off, however a lot of places that don't give a required 'minimum score' may still end up only inviting those with, say, above 640 to interview in the end. Just depends on the rest of the applicant pool I guess! But hopefully for unis that don't lean heavily on the UKCAT there will be fewer people applying with insanely high averages. :)

11. Tamar92

Tamar92 New Member

just booked for the 16, Im going to start practing now only, is it enough, any advise?
    practice papers?

12. AwesomeLinda

AwesomeLinda New Member

Mmm, I started preparing 3 weeks early, like an hour or two a day and I got that crap score but really its all to do with luck, so if your usually quite good at Maths, English and the rest, you'll be fine. If not put in a couple of extra hours a day.

13. Tamar92

Tamar92 New Member

thanks

14. garlicbreadman

garlicbreadman New Member

16th of August?

15. Tamar92

Tamar92 New Member

yeah why?

16. garlicbreadman

That's quite brave. I am not trying to put you off.

Although, I would love to have it over and done with!

I am sure you will be fine as long as you work hard over the next week or so.

I could be talking absolutely B.S. as I haven't even sat the UKCAT before!

17. ristretto

ristretto New Member

i think that's enough time for practice. personally i don't think u need anything more than the two official practice tests on the ukcat website. i did those. one on each day, just two days before my test and i found it sufficient.

the ukcat can't really be prepared for. all u need to do is get yourself familiar with the style of questions and the time constraint. be prepared to guess and skip questions when u know u're spending too much time on one question. that's about all.

18. Tamar92

Tamar92 New Member

thanks

19. garlicbreadman

Woah.

I have booked mine for 4th September so it cost £75, see if I was to reschedule it for August, would I get a £15 refund?

Anyone have any idea?

I haven't started practising yet so might end up finishing my practise and spending ages not doing anything for it.

20. nikusm

nikusm New Member

I have just sat my UKCAT 3 hours ago, results below.
    A little bit frustrated with the first and the fourth section because I thought I will do better in both. I so hate the 10 points I missed to getting that 'pretty 600'. Very pleased with my AR though, never thought it will be my second best.
    Hope that Dundee, QUB and STA will consider the average more than the individual scores.