1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UKCAT Tomorrow!!!! -Online practise tests MUCH more difficult than what i practised for

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by Dagenate, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dagenate

Dagenate New Member

Hey guys,
    I've got my UKCAT test tomorrow and I have practised a lot on medify and I did the mocks on there and they were fine. But as soon as I tried the practise papers on the actual website they were much harder - particularly AR and QR which I'm actually struggling so much for time. I'm stressing out that I'm going to do awfully since I've just been doing questions on medify and they might have easier than the actual test. Is this true or are the practise papers just super hard?

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

The official UKCAT practice papers are the best representation of the test. You just need to focus now on doing the best that you can with where you are. But to perform your best you need to be relaxed.

#2 Martigan, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  3. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

How did it go?

4. r34

r34 New Member

I have done around 5000 questions from various sources and I'm still getting into the 500s for one section sometimes.

The UKCAT is an unfair test. It doesn't give enough time for anyone to answer the questions, apart from SJT

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Why is that unfair? The whole point is the time presure...

Or do you think it's unfair that those who think faster score more highly?

6. r34

r34 New Member

It's unfair how the high scorers are people who work extremely quickly while the applicants who are knowledgeable about medicine and are good at solving complex time-consuming problems are left out.
    I could argue that the UKCATSEN does not give enough extra time. I know someone who has dyslexia. He says that the whole test does not put in adequate measures to help applicants with disabilities. The verbal section is an incomprehensible nightmare, which scanning questions in the QR has to be done way too quickly.
    I suspect that the time pressure is unrealistic to what doctors would encounter. For example, I only get worked answers for around half of the QR section despite all of the practice I have done. My peers have the same issue.
    A large proportion of the questions candidates give are quick guesses. This brings in the unfair luck factor which causes variation in test scores.
    In conclusion, the UKCAT is a very stressful test which puts way too much time pressure.

7. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

The whole point is the time stress helps separate those who can think fast and those that don't.

It's not trying to fully simulate what a medic does, but it's effectively an IQ test looking at the facets that a medic requires.

Some of the practice materials are not very realistic.

The 600 questions book, which was the most popular when I was going through it, really put the crapper on me.
    In good at maths, it's my "thing". However I could only complete about 50-60% of the questions in the time. Is was feeling in dispair that I was doing so badly. However, in the real thing I got 880 for QR.

The issue was that the book only had questions that were the most complex and time consuming of the real questions. 90% were a lot less complex, and could be done quickly.

Unless you are using the official UKCAT questions, take them with a pinch of salt...