ukcat

Discussion in 'Dundee Medical School' started by hojhoj6, Sep 20, 2008.

1. hojhoj6

hojhoj6 New Member

#1 hojhoj6, Sep 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. rat-a-tattat

rat-a-tattat New Member

wel im not too sure,cnt help much but your best bet is to contact the medschool and ask them.

3. DoctorTony

DoctorTony New Member

547 isnt that HORRIFIC

I mean 5A's is ok, you might get one conditional or maybe two.

So work hard and get at least 1 A and 2 Bs in Advanced Higher.

4. nickism

nickism New Member

5A's..."ok"??? 5A's is the best you can get! I dont have much idea about UKCAT, but if you have good social skills and a keen attitude it helps greatly! But as said, best to get in contact with the uni's and ask.

And i guess a bit of work at adv. higher wouldnt go amiss but dont give up hope just becuase you didnt do as well as you thought! Anyway, last year dundee was still accepting students with 3A's and 2B's, no matter what their UKCAT score. Its a dam good medical school and i have yet to meet somone who doesnt like it!

If the worst comes to the worst (which i hope it doesnt) take a gap year and re-apply!

5. Masuda

Masuda Member

I know its too lat to be helpful to you - but for anyone else with the same problem - Dundee are among the most conservative in their interpretation of UKCAT results - they are waiting for more research into the validity of the test as a selector so your resluts should not work against you too much

6. garlicbreadman

garlicbreadman New Member

It states on the Dundee Uni website that the UKCAT accounts for 20% of the score, and the higher the score, the more advantageous. :confused:

Also, it says applicants with "exceptional academic achievements" will be scored more highly.
    Do you think they mean 6A's in terms of Scottish academics?

7. kaodeve

kaodeve New Member

Edinburgh says "Test results are worth 8% of the overall score of an application" so might be worth applying there too.

8. Masuda

Masuda Member

Hi garlicbreadman

Thank you for pointing that out that seems to be new this year.

Last year this is all it said "UKCAT scores are used conservatively whilst we await data on the test's reliability and validity. Applications without UKCAT will be rejected. ”

Perhaps they have had the data they were waiting on - they do seem to be quoting 2010 figures.
    This is the new line from Dundee "“UKCAT scores are separated into quintiles and scored. Normally this is given a weight of 20% but this may be higher in certain circumstances. There is no specific cut off applied but obviously a high score is advantageous. Our analysis of 2010 applicants revealed that we interviewed few applicants with a UKCAT score below 2300 and the average for those gaining offers was over 2600. Applications without UKCAT will be rejected.”

Thanks again - I'll update my records.