1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US High School Student - What are my chances/

Discussion in 'International Medical Students' started by RaggyMuffin13, Aug 28, 2014.

1. RaggyMuffin13

RaggyMuffin13 New Member

Hello, I've been extremely interested in medicine ever since I could remember and I'm originally from Belgium and want to try and return to Europe but still wanted the English language. What are my chances of getting into the following schools: University of Aberdeen, Queens University Belfast, University of Glasgow and East Anglia (If you other suggestions please offer them).

By the end of 12th grade I'll have taken 14 APs including Biology, Physics and Chemistry. However, I received a 4 on AP Biology so I've decided to apply using my SAT II scores which for biology was 720 and chemistry 730. I'll be taking a math SAT in October and predict to get at least a 730 on it. I have a 3.82 GPA and a 32 on the ACT. I also have a 2010 on my SAT but my ACT score is better so I'm going to apply with that score.

I've worked at a medical lab for 3 years now and have gained a lot of experience. I learned to work along side managers, doctors and lab professionals. I learned lab procedures and about many different sorts of diseases. I also took a two week course at Brown University on stem cell and tissue engineering, and I was part of a conference called National Student Leadership Conference with a medical focus and learned about patient care and procedures.

I took my UKCAT last week and received an average of 702.5. Total 2810. I'm not sure whether or not this a good score.
    640 VR
    770 QR
    760 AR
    649 DA
    2 for SJ

Do you think I have a chance of being accepted into a medical school and which medical schools do you suggest I apply to????

2. lawry626

lawry626 New Member

Hello, I graduated from a high school in US too, and am happy to tell you that it is possible to come over to the UK with just a high school diploma and relevant scores. My conditional offer back in 2010 was based only on straight As for my senior year, no external exam scores at all. That being said, I already submitted SAT I & II, TOEFL, UKCAT scores. It is worth asking the unis what they expect and what conditional offers are they likely to give out. Good luck!

3. Clara Cho

Clara Cho New Member

14 APs? Oh no. I have the same goal as you do, but I only have 5 APs! I took the ACT too, but I scored a 30. How many APs do I need actually to even look into UK Med Schools? The requirements listed are only 3-4.

4. charlesmaikens

charlesmaikens New Member

Actually, I don't know what to say. Maybe you should try next time.