Vasovagal syncope and surgery?

puchi_catlover

Hi,
I dont really know wat Im trying to ask here. I want to become a surgeon. but I fainted on my first dlay of surgery, then during internship, i had the chance of my own solo, i felt faint again. im not scared of blood. I feel its the mask that gives me the claustrophobic feeling. also the standing still part. I dont feel that way otherwise at al. I play all sorts of sports. Is it just psychological or really a problem? do u think that i will get over it. or should i think of a non-surgical speciality.

rjm26

I definitely know what you mean! I'm not grossed out/scared/bothered by anything like that, but have experienced similar feelings before. I find its partly standing still and staring really hard. If you did this in any situation you would feel like you were starting to rock... Especially when the room is dim and the bit you are looking at is lit up by a surgical light, its like the blackout sensation where the edges of your vision goes blurry is already in place!
Also, the times when I have felt faint have been right before lunch, so maybe my blood sugar was a bit low too?

Id be interested to hear other responses

James

But some of the tight fitting stockings they sell for long-haul flights. By compressing your legs they will raise your venous return and stop vasovagal attacks.

puchi_catlover

i know!. i'm bit of a sugar junkie. need a little every hour or so. so i keep something in my pocket, (i dont have diabetes). but during surgery, i dun think i can snack. before i used to work in a comparatively easy going environment. i wud sneak bite or two, but when im in residency or something, i dun think il be able to do tat. il look into the stocking thing. thanks! looking forward to more opinions and advice! :)

doug1

I passed out during an operation I was assisting in this morning and came too on the floor. Its never happened before and I am not a squeamish person. I have *previously* had no problem with invasive procedures and am unnerved by why/how it happened to me today. I can completely understand how you feel catlover and as bad as this sounds Im glad im not the only one its happened to - sorry!
I've never been so embarrassed and would quite like never to see my consultant or SpR again, unfortunately they have to sign me off of this rotation in the next few days. Somehow I do not think I will be getting top marks.....
The problem is I do not want it to happen again so im a bit worried about going back to theatre. Might have to try the stockings idea! Cheers

puchi_catlover

Hehe, its not so bad. im glad to hear ur experience too.i understand the embarrassment, as a surgeon u wanna show tat u r strong, n for me, being a girl, people underestimate me anyways, (also im youngish-if tat's a word). hope u get over with tat soon. all the best for ur evaluation!