What do i do if i miss the grades?

Discussion in 'Hull York Medical School' started by afhstingray, Jun 19, 2006.

1. afhstingray

afhstingray New Member

Im not sure how well i did in physics and chemistry....i think im going to end up with an ABB :| (A for bio)

In their offer they asked for AAB :(

2. no_estrella

no_estrella New Member

i think im going to end up with ABC. and although that is amusingly the start of the alphabet, i don't think it'll do me a lot of good.
    i think just on results day you talk to them, and put your best feet forward.
    eep.

3. Allie

Allie New Member

I'm in this position also. I've just failed a Chemistry exam so don't think I'll get AAB. It's a worry, but I'll just have to do what I can, and if I'm (we're) lucky, if we do miss grades, it'll be very marginal and HYMS will let us in anyway. I'm ****ed if they don't, as I haven't got an insurance choice...

4. Nikki_yes

Nikki_yes New Member

Hah, I just failed chemistry as well. We should form a club. It'd be great. They say somewhere that if you don't get the grades they will still consider you so you have to just give them a ring.

5. Allie

Allie New Member

You do AQA though, don't you?

Proper 'mare my paper (Unifying Concepts). The new material was fine, there was just masses of Foundation Chemistry stuffo n there which I'd forgotten. ****er.

HYMS gave us offers basedo n more than grades, so I think that if they liked us enough, and we perhaps stray very slightly with grades, they might let us in. I can't imagine them doing so if we cock up completely though.

6. no_estrella

no_estrella New Member

aaah, OCR chemistry was bollocks.
    i am so right about not getting that A.
    i hope hyms really like me. cha. i hope grades dont matter so much :S

7. LFC786

LFC786 Member

i did unif. concepts and i thought it was OK. i hate questions where the ask u to work out the mass of metal in a solution etc at the end but this once was about sucrose so i didnt tremble!

8. fishie

fishie New Member

I know that HYMS only accept people with lower offers if they still have spare places after counting up all those who did achieve their grade (firm and insurance). Don't know many they usually have spare, but it probably isn't a lot.
    Don't worry about failing exams, cos you'll waste energy! Rememebr A levels are marked relative to everyone else to some extent. Chances are that everyone found it hard so the grade boundaries will be lowered. However, this is coming from the person who is having nightmares about having to resit 1st year exams in the summer, so I can't really talk!
    Got to carry on revising Block 5!

EDIT: By the way, HYMS will already know whether they've accepted you (I'm assuming cos they'll have had the results for days), so if you're unlucky enough miss your offer, you can call them and they'll tell straight away

#8 fishie, Jun 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  9. Allie

Allie New Member

Does that include those who achieve the grades in a different order? i.e. my offer specifies A in Biology, B in Chemistry. If I got AAB, but a B in Biology and an A in Chemistry, would I still only be given a place once everyone who had completely met their offers had been given one?

10. fishie

fishie New Member

I don't know, I'm only going off what they told us last year. If you really want to know then I'd suggest you call admissions. Just think positively and believe you're going to make your offer!

11. Nikki_yes

Nikki_yes New Member

Anyone have any idea how it would work with gappers?? I mean, they kinda have loads of spare places really, and I can't imagine them making you wait till next year, coz it's be basically too late! Or they may just say no. Could work either way I guess.
    Aye I do AQA, and it was ok actually but I realise now I've made daft mistakes. Oh well.

12. Uber_James

Uber_James New Member

AQA biology was solid today. I hope I haven't slipped up too bad - everyone found it hard though.

Chemistry yesterday was a right shit. TERYLENE?!!?!

13. no_estrella

no_estrella New Member

sorry, what does 'solid' mean? i think you either mean it was hard or you mean it was okay, but i cant tell which!
    and what biology was it? was it an applied module? AQA?

14. tig220

tig220 New Member

Yeah it was a bit of a nightmare but i don't feel as bad about it i did mod 5! Some of the questions were totally over my head though- the liver question, partial pressures calculation and the funny graph on nerve impulses (thought that one looked bad enough before i realised it carried on over the page;) ). Anyway try not to worry about bio anymore in mod 5 i got 90/90 without finishing the paper and leaving almost all of the calculationd because i didn't have time! God knows how they work out your marks!?

15. Nikki_yes

Nikki_yes New Member

Solid means dead dead hard!!

I did AQA and thought it was ok today, but I seem to have done a different paper to tig220!? Did you do spec A?

16. tig220

tig220 New Member

i don't know which spec i did but the first question was about movement of a human body-louse and the second one about lotus respiration in carbon dioxide and the atomosphere, i don't really remember much else but the last q was on kidneys!

17. Ryan HYMS

Ryan HYMS New Member

Hey Nikki_yes
    i did AQA B, i thought it was better than other ones that i've done especially mod 4, but mod 5 was a bit hard like all the stuff bout wilderbeast im fair confident though.

18. Shujaat

Shujaat New Member

I hope you guys all get the grades you need!

When do you find out?

19. Nikki_yes

Nikki_yes New Member

Haha, the wildebeest (what a boss spelling?! If I've remembered right. Probably not) stuff was complete and utter twaddle for want of another word I can use on this. I'm more worried about the synoptic and optional module as our teacher was awful! I though module 4 was ok as well, it could have been so much worse!! Good luck on the rest : )

20. Uber_James

Uber_James New Member

Im panicing about the synoptic now :p

Just looked through some practise stuff and I've forgotten tonnes off mod 2!