1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should i revise for BMAT

Discussion in 'BMAT' started by icarus, Sep 28, 2003.

1. icarus

icarus New Member

I know that a lot of you will tell me that there is nothing to revise, but have u ever seen the paper!

well most of you will be probably revising at school but mine isnt that good and when i asked around i was told that it was all gcse science maths and english. But if that was gcse stuff than I dont know what to do.

Anyway just tell me how u guys are revising and are they actually going to talk about it in the cambridge interviews (that is if i get one ).
    My only problem is that I will make a complete fool of my self!

2. Shamir

Shamir New Member

The way I see it (and im in the same position as you, I'm taking the BMAT without any support from school i.e. teacher help) is at the end of the day it's a test which really cannot be revised for. Of course I'll stil brush up on GCSE physics (only science i didnt take for A-level) and just do the samples. Then my plan is...

Pray to God I do well.

usually works....

3. rainybow

rainybow New Member

I never knew this, but i was told that some schs that have loadsa pupils going to Oxbridge actually hold 'Oxbridge Lessons' where they train em up for interviews, BMAT and whateva else hey need to succeed!!

I was like WOOOAAAH!!! :shock:

R x

4. Clarkey

Clarkey I have girl bits ok? :)

Just like some schools that train students to be doctors, lawyers, etc from the age of 8 or 9.... :wink: Indeed, it is a scary world out there. Sample papers are indeed the best bet as well as trying to talk to people that have done the paper before.

5. rainybow

rainybow New Member

I came across this site for the MVAT, its quite similar to the BMAT, except they give u the answers. Its quite helpful, you should be able to download it from the Cam or Ox website.

:)

6. icarus

icarus New Member

thanks guys 8)

7. splik

splik New Member

er.. they give you the answers for the BMAT online.
    any way your school/college should give you a copy of the papers and the answers.

although i get oxbridge lessons these are pretty useless and a waste of time, wasting valuable pub time, and meaning i miss eastenders!

this is how i'm revising :

the first part means going over some maths and critical thinking --- a paper for crit think can be downloaded from ocr.org.uk... [it is an AS] THIS IS THE HARDEST SECTION, BY FAR

the second part - those silly comic book double science guides (cgp ones - you must use the old ones, not the ones available in the shops in the moment by the way as the syllabus has changed and its the old syllabus you'll be tested on.) remember nothing on plants, the environment, earth science, extraction of materials and seismic waves will be asked so there is very little to LEARN. it's all about applying. it is also helpful to try to do some arithmetic and swot up on standard form.

to be honest, i think that a person doing bio,chem, physics and further maths is really at the best advantage, which is unfair. but most candidates will.

for the final section - i suggest that you do not answer to question which requires you to read a passage, unless you're a master of english language. in the specimen the question - 'doctors should not let their personal beliefs prejudice their professional decisions' discuss... this will not be marked, but may be dished out at the interview where they'll rip you to shreds :shock:

this is how i would go about answering the question:

explain what the statement means in about two sentences - e.g. 'the argument suggests that some doctors impose their personal opinions on their patients, or it affects their practice of medicine or conduct.'

next, you should give reasons to support the conclusion [the conclusion for those of you who don't do philosophy or don't have common sense is a statement made that is formulated from a number of reasons.] -e.g. Some doctors may believe in euthanising terminally ill patients, and this is against the law, and it is very difficult to know whether a patient in that frame of mind really wants to end it then and there, and this power could be abused. Similarly, a doctor may enforce a decision on a patient to have an operation/blood transfusion when at their weakest, or conversely may take the opposite stance where a procedure may save a patient's life.

finally, you should answer when the argument could be wrong - eg. 'When a patient is very vulnerable, and they have no one to support them, then they may not be able to make the best or most informed decisions, which a doctor could help them with. the personal beliefs of a doctor, may not necessarily be of detriment to the patient emotionally or physically and may have come from years of clinical experience, or from his/her experience as a human. the argument assumes that doctors frequently let their personal beliefs interfere with their clinical practice, and this is never helpful, which is a poor assumption.'

anyway.. you get the idea for that. please don't quote me on that. i cannot take responsibility for a hastenly constructed answer [5 mins it took] when i would really spend 5 times that amount. this is just an idea of what you might put. the format is correct, but the arguments and reasons postulated aren't necessarily.

good luck. i think practice is really important. it is not so much difficult [when revised] but you have very little time to answer the questions.

8. slapnut_thechosen1

slapnut_thechosen1 New Member

GO TO BMAT.ORG.UK OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND YOU'LL FIND SAMPLES IN THERE

9. medeahyaqub

medeahyaqub New Member

Yeah my school does that..its not actually fair for the others lol

10. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

:) BMAT took place during the busiest time of my academic year (november/december = final graduation exams). I wish I allocated time to commit to some quality BMAT revision. But in reality, all I did in haste was sitting and marking a practice test. If I had more time, I would've done a few more practice tests. (Practice really does make [near] perfect.) Time is a huge constraining factor when you sit the BMAT. Going through as many questions as you can during revision will build your testing skills AND trains you to work efficiently during the real thing. Oh and allowing yourself to become better acquainted with the structure/format of the test is also quite important.

11. Breakfast

Breakfast New Member

Maybe someone could tell me how many words I should write in Section number 3 ( essay)? Thank you in advance

12. the everponce

the everponce New Member

I asked about it at my school and they were like o_O how are we supposed to know, but having looked through some past papers I'd say maths is the biggest single thing to revise. Kinda sucks when you don't do A-Level maths eh?

13. stephanietbrown

stephanietbrown New Member

Anyone starting to prepare for their BMAT and Oxford/Cambridge/London medicine applications??

14. tanzinbushra

tanzinbushra New Member

Hi what physcis book do you suggest we should buy then? i didn't do gcse physics so i am having a bit of a problem in there, and does any one know how to prepare for the essay section, I haven't started revising yet just buying the books.
    Thanks.