Which campus have you been allocated to?

Discussion in 'Hull York Medical School' started by SeriousBlack, May 26, 2006.

1. Ryan HYMS

Ryan HYMS New Member

Wahoo i got into YORK
    i was wondering whether anyone could tell me abit about the accomodation i know its in halls but are these catered or not and also are the med students kept together or completely spread out, one last thing do we stay in halls for both yrs or just the first

Thanks for any help anyone can offer
    Ryan

2. Mark13

Mark13 New Member

I got in at hull.

I guess because i had my interview there im not too bothered,i liked the look of the accomodation.I mean as the dude(or maybe dudette,i forget now) said before there are worse positions to be in and really your allocation shouldnt affect your revision and exams.

3. tig220

tig220 New Member

I still haven't replied to my offers but i'm guna do it this week and HYMS will be my firm so i guess i'll be finding out where i'm going soon too!!

For the people who are unhappy with their allocations- guys you applied to a jointmedical school don't you reckon it was a bit of a gamble if you only liked one of the uni's knowing allocation was random? I think you should just try and be happy i mean you've got into med school, i know quite a few people with 4 rejections who would happily take an offer from anywhere!! You've got a place at HYMS which you must have wanted why else apply?

I know from experience many places don't deserve their reputations!! You have to judge by personal experience don't listen to what you're told make up your own mind. Try to have an open mind but on the other hand if you expect nothing things can only seem better when you get there!!

Finally if i get allocated to Hull i'd be happy enough and wouldn't want my first few weeks ruined by having to listen to people moaning!;)! Be grateful you have the opportunity to study medicine- think how many people in the world don't even have access to education at all? Then think about how spoilt complaining makes you sound!!

4. tig220

tig220 New Member

Also that wasn't an attack on anyone it's just a general 'would you all please realise how lucky you are and stop umming and arring' :)

5. Mark13

Mark13 New Member

I know the campus allcoation process is random,what i meant was that because i had had my interview there i had an idea what the facilities and accomodation are like so im not bothered :p

6. Shehna

Shehna New Member

I've never been to Hull before, looking forward to spending 2 years there and meeting you all :D

7. Nikki_yes

Nikki_yes New Member

Ugh, I haven't got my letter yet, absolutely gutted. I'll have to wait till Tuesday at least now!

8. corrupted nutter

corrupted nutter New Member

I got York. Looking forward to meeting you all!

BTW, people allocated to York have to stay somewhere else for 10 days, but people allocated to Hull get to go in their accommodation straight away...

9. jabiyasser

jabiyasser New Member

oooooooooooooo riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggght !! GOOOOOOOO STARBUCKS !!

10. Shujaat

Shujaat New Member

yay :) hate starbucks, hope i get hull

11. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

not to mention the higher costs of food, travel and ents in general in some areas of london, which effectively lowers your enjoyment and opportunities whilst living there.

12. pocket

pocket New Member

Apparently there are a couple of starbucks in the centre but Planet Coffee on Newland Ave is very nice and the coffee is reassuringly expensive!

Changing the subject some what back to the original post, as you might be aware during phase 2 and 3 (yrs 3 to 5) we have placements all over the HYMS region from Grimsby to Scarborough to York and to the unfortunately un-mentionable town just north of Doncaster. During this time we need to maintain accommodation in our "home" city and as I mentioned earlier hull is very much cheaper than york and also pretty much in the middle of the region. Another reason to be cheerful!?!

13. SeriousBlack

SeriousBlack New Member

I am very much pleased that I have a chance to do medicine and I can't believe the way some people seem to be reacting to the news, that they have been placed in hull. I know everyone has the right to react in whatever way they please, but c'mon its not like you have been diagnosed with a terminal illness or face a future of working a dead end job at kfc! We are all hopefully gonna be doctors, isn't this a good thing?! So we've been allocated to Hull...so what?

14. tig220

tig220 New Member

I've finally done it- accepted my offers and HYMS is my firm! I guess i'll be finding out which uni i'll be allocated to in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to start i don't mind which uni i get allocated to as i have a few friends going to york for a variety of courses and i really liked hull from when i had my interview there (and asylum looked wicked ;) )!

15. Stevobradzo

Stevobradzo New Member

Yes, I've been allocated to Hull too and I have to admit I was very disappointed. I had my interview in Hull and it seemed a grim place (by the time I had was getting a lift back to the train station from a rascist taxi driver I was dying to get out of the place.)

However, as has been said already no-one really has a right to feel hard done by. I am convinced that HYMS is one of the best medical schools going and if you are serious about being a doctor you will be happy to get in. Also, you will get used to the place, make friends and enjoy yourself If you accept the fact and allow yourself to enjoy it.

Anyone who has got in is very lucky, many deserving people are not accepted. You can't always demand things to work out exactly as you'd want.

I'm sure we can all look forward to good times over the next few years whereever you've been sent. I for one am certainly looking forward to it.

Looking forward to meeting you all in September,
    Stevie

16. no_estrella

no_estrella New Member

I've been allocated to York, and i'll be the first to admit, it was silly to apply to a joint med school having only seen one of the unis, but hey, that's sometimes the way it is. as i've not seen york i'm not really sure what i think, i am dead chuffed still though, i'm bloody well going to med school! though all you Hull-ians count yourself lucky it's dead cheap!
    can anyone tell me about the accomdation in york? when i went for my int in hull, we had a look at some of the flats they put the medics in and they were AMAZING. the rooms are like the size of my house.
    yeah, so anything anyone could tell me bout york would be grand. and like good laces to go and see if they know??
    ta.
    p.s. i don't know anyone who's ever gone to uni (first choice or second) who's hated it in the end because of the town/campus. you make uni what it is, whether you like it/enjoy it is is actually in your hands.

17. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

although admittedly, living in a large room for next to nuffing, as opposed to a minibox costing a fortune in london, is a godsend.

18. Wilkfish

Wilkfish New Member

As a true Hull lad at HYMS I want to add to this discussion. Thankyou first and foremost to all those supporting Hull in these posts. You are the people that Hull needs to have here. You are the people that are either open minded enough, to not mind coming to a place with bad press or you are those which have been to hull and seen what the place is really like. On behalf of Hull, thanks.

Here are a few thoughts of mine on the issue;

Hull always gets a lot of bad press, the real shame is that its always from people who heard it from someone else who usually has heard somthing from someone who came here once a couple of years ago. Thats not very good evidence based practice is it. If doctors acted that way about Drugs or treatments I shudder to think what the NHS would be like.

If people are going to moan and whinge about living in Hull when you've never been here, I for one (and I know I would speak for a lot of us hullies) would rather you didnt come here at all. You are going to meet a lot of people from poor backgrounds in Hull, if you treat them the same as you treat the city, ie based on preconceptions, then you are not going to be liked in the slightest. The real shame is that many of hulls detractors cannot see the light for the smoke around hull. I imagine that many of you are not aware of the £100 million plus that has been put into redevelopment of hull in the past few years, work which is currently ongoing. How about the friendliest university award, or being in the top 10 for the cleanest city centre? What about the Deep, the KC stadium, St. Stephens Development, Princes Quays soon to be undertaken expansion & the redevelopment of deprived areas.These are only off the top of my head too! Surely it is better to have a council that is striving to become a great city than to have an okay city with a council that is happy as it is.

If anyone really dont like the sound of Hull then thats okay, dont come, I dont want you here. You are the people that are willing to comment on stereotypes and beliefs without checking anything out for yourselves. I would argue that spending a day in the city is not checking Hull out too, you need to live here for a while before you are able to comment.

If this post gets anybodys backs up I dont care,I apologise if anyone is offended but I have lived in Hull all of my life and am sick to the back teeth of people slagging the place off. Its so much easier to focus on negatives than positives, unfortunately most people are too cynical to know this.

19. scara666

scara666 New Member

Sorry, i'm not a hull york student- got rejected without interview- but i feel the need to butt in!

if you thinks hulls bad try spending a year in bradford! you go to nightclubs and they get emptied out early because someones just got stabbed, policewomen get shot 30mins before you walk past that point, suspected terrorists get arrested in uni halls! and plus your still not doing medicine at that point!

so think yourselves lucky!

And i've been mugged twice! (nearly forgot about that)

20. SeriousBlack

SeriousBlack New Member

I'm looking forward to going to Hull. When I was up there for my interview the uni looked good and the facilities looked great....and it's true, the student houses were mad! The rooms were absolutely massive, couldn't believe it and the students seemed happy enough and proud of where they were.....
    I didn't really see the big deal, it just looked like any other city to me there are worst grimier sights right here in London. Nasty Elephant and Castle shopping centre, why is it still here?!